Javier (Chapter 54)

"Ah! It's so cold out here, this is cruelty", An'twan complained.

"So you expect the enemy to wait for summer to attack", I asked.

"Ha ha, enough of your sarcasm", he said in a dry tone.

"Just speaking the truth."

"You know better by now not to complain", Demetri said.

"Aren't enemies less likely to attack in winter? I mean, nobody likes the cold, not even them", Xavier said.

"Wouldn't that be nice but unfortunately boys, that's not the case", I said.

"Hernandez", my sergeant called out.

I stopped as soon as I was in front of him. We all did and saluted.

"Yes sir?"

Close behind him was a face I wasn't happy to see.

Ashley.

"I got direct orders from the boss to have you partner up with Ashley for a bit."

"What?"

She gave me a look.

"You don't speak that way to me. It's not like I was happy about it either", she said as she folded her arms.

"Please be nice to each other. Ashley here is pretty talented in your field, it was specially requested she assist you after reports of your impressive work on your missions."

"I-I see."

"You are dismissed from what you are currently doing to train with her starting now."

"Yes sir."

I looked at her and stood up straight, saluting her as well.

"I...apologize for my response. I look forward to your training", I said, not really meaning it.

"Yeah", is all she says without any eye contact. 

I looked back at the guys, they gave me a nod before I left with her.

"Keep up with me. If you lose me, that's your own fault."

Seriously, what's her problem?

I followed her all the way to what looked like a private office. There was a room inside which looked like a tech nerd's dream.

"I don't like using the equipment in the training building, too many people touching things and dumb cadets messing things up. S0 dad had a room set up for me in my office. I also have access to the latest hardware, software, programs, and more that aren't out yet to the military."

"Cool."

Who's her dad and how did he get his hands on all this stuff?

"Sit down", she said.