Tyler (Chapter 23)

She stood there just staring at me after I told her to be my date.

"So, what you're saying is, you want me to go to your fancy ball thing with you?"

"What, you'd rather go with someone else", I said in a slightly annoyed tone.

Was I speaking another language? It's hard enough for me to actually go to this thing and even harder to ask someone. I think the last time I went was when I first won an award. After that, I just told them I was too busy or something. It's not my first time going to events like these. I used to go to them a lot as a kid.

"I can't get in without an officer, right? So, I guess I'll have to settle with you."

I gave her a look.

"You look disappointed. What, you had Josh on your mind?"

She placed a finger on her chin to think about it.

"Yeah, maybe. He was quite convincing back at the office."

I started to walk away.

"Fine, ask him then. I'm not going."

I heard her laugh and felt her grab my wrist before I walked too far.

"I'm just joking with you."

"I don't like jokes."

"I can see that."

I turned to look at her.

"It'll be really good for you to go and I'll be happy to go with you. I never had a real date...well my friend Javi of course but we weren't together like that. Besides, I never had anyone ask me so..."

I could tell she was fighting back excitement. I guess it's a girl thing I'll never understand.

"I'll see you later then."

"Yep, and remember what I told you."

"I'll keep it in mind."

I watched her walk off before I got in the car.

"What were you two talking about" Masen asked.

"None of your business."

I saw him pout from the corner of my eye. A small smile grew on my face. Messing around with him felt familiar. It's a piece of my old self, a memory I am fond of.

I purposely didn't tell Sarina when our officer ball was, I didn't want her nagging at me about it if we ran into each other again. I didn't want her to call me about it either but I forgot she doesn't have my personal number. I knew I had to contact her eventually about it.

~

Today was the day, well tonight anyway. It's been a week since I asked her to be my date. During that time, I reflected on why I asked. Other than making it up to her, I wonder if I actually wanted to go if she would go with me. I even got upset when she was joking about going with Josh instead of me.