Javier (Chapter 9)

"I'm heading out now to hang with the boys", I shouted.

"Don't stay too long, at least be back for dinner", my mom said.

"Okay."

I climbed into my car, quickly taking off to one of my friends' houses. Ashton just invited me over out of the blue. He said the other boys will be there, it's like some sort of gathering. I haven't talked to them since we drifted apart in high school. It hasn't been that long but, I just thought they wanted nothing to do with me, especially since I wanted no part in what they were trying to get me into, drugs.

I still haven't told anyone about it other than Sarina. I can't, especially since I'm on my way to joining the Air Force. If they try anything by dragging my name into whatever they are doing, it would ruin everything for me. I don't even know why I'm bothering to show up. Maybe I think they've changed, or at least I hope they did. I'll just have to wait and see.

A few minutes later I pulled up in Ashton's driveway. He has a big house like mine, his parents are well off as well. We used to always have parties here when his parents were out of town. I had a feeling his parents knew, they just didn't care. They are the type to pretty much let him do whatever he wants. That's why he became a spoiled brat. I'm thankful every day I didn't become like him. I'm too nice of a guy, that's the reason why we became friends and because we all were on the same team so it's natural to get close.

Before I could knock, the door opened.

"Hey man, long time no see!"

He pulled me in for a hug.

"I know."

"Everyone's inside, come on."

I followed him into the living room to see everyone gathered together.

"Hey, it's Javier!"

"Javi, it's like you fell off the planet!"

"Shut up Daryus!"

I sat down with them. The table had cans of beer, some already open as well as snacks.

"So, what's been happening with you", Ashton asked.

"Nothing much. Just preparing for college life I guess", I lied.

They honestly don't have to know about the Air Force. At least not right now.

"You still going to play football", he asked.

"I don't know, maybe."

"Whatcha mean maybe? You're like the best quarterback in town", Terique said.

"Yeah but that was in high school, we have lots of possibilities to explore now. Maybe I want to do something different."

"Hey, I'm with him. I couldn't wait for the season to end. I'm done with football", Allen said.