Sarina (Chapter 15)

"I'll have here the berry blast and tropical smoothie with extra banana. Will that be all", I asked.

"Yes."

"That comes up to $15.25, will that be cash or card?"

"Card."

"Okay, please swipe for me and then I'll have your receipt."

"I won't need it thank you."

"No problem. Here you go, have a great day."

I let out a breath as I watched the customer leave.

"Wow, you're better than me now", Angie came over to say.

"No way. I'm just happy it's almost time to go...well another hour for me."

"Sorry I can't stick around. I have to take my son to his doctor's appointment."

"No worries. It looks like the rush is over now. I can handle it."

"So...", she started to say as she took off her apron.

"Is it safe for me to ask how it went with the phone thing and Fletcher? We aren't together anymore by the way."

"That's good. I was going to ask about that. I went to the police and they said it was important stuff. I couldn't stick around to find out more."

"Makes sense, I bet it's confidential stuff."

I couldn't tell her how Tyler was being even more of a jerk than usual. I guess he didn't want me to get involved any more than I already am but, he didn't have to act like that.

"Anyway, I'm glad I was helpful. Maybe years later I can tell my son how mommy saved Illinois."

I laughed. "Hey, maybe you did. Who knows?"

"I'll see you later", she said.

"Yep, see you."

After she left, I started cleaning up after the rush. It's hard to clean as you go when you have customers continuously flooding in for smoothies. It being summer and all, I don't blame them. It's a pretty hot day too.

Towards the last few minutes of my shift, I placed the closed sign up since there hasn't been a customer in a while. I took time to wipe things down and put everything away. The shack closes up early since most sales are during the early morning and into the afternoon. I picked up the closing shift. It'll be sunset soon.

As I continued cleaning, I heard someone talking or more like arguing.

"This is the place but he ain't here", a guy said.

I didn't recognize the voice.

"Should of never trusted him or Marco", another guy said.

"We don't know if Marco's a sellout. Yeah he's missing but the boss might have ordered for him to be wiped out, you know? Fletcher, for sure he would be a sellout. Someth'n didn't sit right with me when it came to him."