Javier (Chapter 62)

I rolled my chair back from the computer, stretching my body out as it had gotten stiff since I'd been sitting here for who knows how long. I could feel my eyes were dry from staring at the screen for so long. This is the one time I wish I had textbooks. I woke up earlier this morning to start my training in Ashley's office. It's a never ending job, especially now since I will be starting my next mission soon. I will be tapping into cell phones and other devices. Sounds pretty easy and straightforward. What makes this difficult is that I will have to tap into hundreds of devices in a short amount of time. I never took on a task like this before.

Tyler told me he wanted me to hack into their devices, specifically their text messages so we can see if they were discussing anything about Cosen. I have to be quick at this because Cosen might find out, it would be easy since they have Andy. Right now, I'm no match for him.

"Oh, you're still here", Ashley said as she walked in.

I stood up to salute her.

"Yes sergeant. I have a mission coming up so I have to prepare."

"Get back to it then."

She walked over to her desk to sit. I sat back down too. From the corner of my eye, I saw her take out a paper. It looked like the one they gave everyone about the upcoming Christmas dance. She crumpled it up.

"Not going sergeant?"

"That's none of your business", she said in a harsh tone. 

"Of course...sergeant.

Silence.

"Besides, how can they keep on having these stupid dances when we go on missions where people get hurt or worse. There's no time for that."

"I disagreed. While it may seem wrong, we still need to celebrate the small things or we might go insane. What we do can mostly be depressing. We need an escape once in a while."

"It's still stupid. I don't know why my father keeps hosting them."

Her father is the host?

I decided to keep quiet, I can't afford to get her upset and kick me out. I picked up where I left off.

"You're going?"

I turned my head just to make sure it was Ashley talking to me. About 30 minutes passed since she said anything.

"Huh?"

"The dance, are you going to the dance", she repeated, this time in an annoyed tone.

"Oh, yeah."

"I see."

"Didn't change your mind about not going?"

"No, I'm not going. I never do and I'm never going to start."