Javier (Chapter 71)

I'm exhausted. I was trained to tolerate it but that's not going well. That riot was terrible. We got a heads-up about it thanks to Andy but unfortunately, we couldn't do anything to stop it. He had to do it to get Quinn out on his boss' orders. Tyler decided it was fine and for us not to stop him. We knew there was a chance that was going to happen even though we thought for sure he was locked away for good. While it sucks Quinn got away again, we did find out some important information. The biggest one of all is that the warden is in all of this.

That's huge, the warden has accepted Cosen. While that's good news for us to know, that's also very bad. He's the warden of one of the largest prisons in Illinois. Who knows what else is going on between him and Cosen. For now, we are keeping this knowledge a secret. We can't approach him just yet, it's best to observe him from afar. With Cosen having control of the prisons, they can release anyone they want, causing crime to skyrocket overnight. 

"If you're going to knock out, do not drool on my desk", Ashley came in to say.

I looked up at her.

"I'm sorry. I'm not sleeping, you don't have to worry."

She was putting some of her stuff down as she spoke.

"So, I heard you never went to the Christmas dance. I thought you were going to go."

"Just a lot of stuff happened and I felt like it was best for me to pass."

Sarina understood that I had to cancel our date for the Christmas dance. I can always make it up to her another time.

"I see."

"What? Disappointed I didn't go?"

"Of course not! Like I care."

"Then why did you ask?"

"It's called starting a conversation Hernandez", she shouted. 

"Geez calm down, I was just curious", I said as I rolled my eyes. 

"Whatever, get out of my seat."

I smirked. For some reason I want to mess with her. Everyone else will do whatever possible to not push her buttons. Maybe it's the exhaustion getting to me. I feel like I got nothing to lose right now.

"Make me", I said, locking my eyes on her.

She stood up straighter. Her eyes grew wide, surprised I said that.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm tired, can't I relax for a few more minutes...sergeant?"

She stormed over to me, shoving a finger inches away from my face.

"You dare speak to me that way cadet? Who the hell do you think you are?!"

I looked down at her finger and then dragged my eyes back to hers again.