Tyler (Chapter 79)

The door clicked shut behind me, I stayed still, not looking around, not making eye contact with Josh.

"I don't have the plague", he joked.

He's still the same, I'm glad.

"If you're going to be rude then you can leave", he said.

"You don't mean that", I said.

"I don't want you to treat me all weird. I told the others that, they were all nice and shit."

That got a chuckle out of me.

"You like to be treated like you're special."

"Yeah, only when something happens do people treat you like royalty", he said in an annoyed tone.

I finally looked at him.

"Be honest. Am I less sexy now that my hair is gone?"

His hair really was gone, not bald but shaved down. Some kind of neck brace held him steady and it looks like he has to spend some time sitting up, that includes sleep as well.

"You know staring isn't nice."

I didn't notice I was staring, I didn't know what to say.

"Come over here", he said.

"Josh I--"

"Don't. I'm trying to be positive so don't kill the mood. I don't know how long I'm going to be like this..."

I walked over to him.

"The surgery went well so you'll be up and walking soon, right?"

He closed his eyes, letting out a sigh.

"I can't feel my legs."

My heart skipped a beat.

"What?"

"You heard me. I can't feel my legs so that means I'm a useless fuck!"

The room went quiet.

"There are people who start off not feeling their legs and then they can walk so--"

"What if that's not me?! You saw with your own damn eyes! I fell right on my head, my spine got fucked up so the odds of me walking are slim. They said they can't tell right away if the sugery fixed me. I'm done Tyler. I'm not your partner anymore, I'm not an officer, I'm--"

"You don't know that! You always tell me not to give up and here you are saying those words to yourself!"

"If you can't see, my situation is different than yours!"

"It's not!"

We stared at each other, our chests rising and falling quickly due to our anger.

"I know it's hard, I know better than anyone else and you know that. I'm not going to let you sit here and act like your life is over because that's what I did years ago and you saved me...remember? I was ready to throw it all away because I thought Andy was gone, I thought I had no chance. The odds were against me but look now. He's alive. The odds of getting him back are higher than ever. It's the same for you. Do whatever the fuck you can to get out of that bed and walk! I can't save Andy alone."