Tyler (Chapter 4)

Our youngest informant, Masen, has been eager to get started helping us out. It's only the next day but so far he's doing well at the hospital. His room is on high security since he is working for us. While no one knows he has ties with us, we aren't taking chances. We also sent out protection for his family as well. Gang members will do whatever it takes to keep their information from getting out. I don't want to lose anyone and I don't want to lose valuable information.

"Hey, how's it going", I said.

I stopped in to see Masen for the first thing this morning. It's a change from the usual stop at my office. Since he's ready to help, I won't make him wait.

"I'm doing better. My leg still kind of hurts but they got the bullet out. I've decided to keep it, maybe I should put it on a chain", he said with a laugh.

I raised my eyebrow.

"How about you save that idea for later. Right now you need to keep a low profile. You don't want people asking you too many questions."

"Yes sir", he said in a slightly disappointed tone.

I'm glad he found some positivity from this. I still feel bad about shooting him but I didn't really have much of a choice. I'm just glad things turned out the way it did.

"Well, I came by today to get started. I guess the first thing to do is to get the names of anyone involved in this, especially who recruited you."

He gave me the names of some people but had a hard time remembering who recruited him.

"I'm sorry officer, I really don't remember his name. I saw his face once. An adult for sure, brown eyes I think and brown hair, about hmm...5'10...like your height."

"I am 5'10. Good guessing."

He smiled.

"It's okay if you can't remember his name, you did a good job describing him. So, he's the one people report to."

"Yes, I think so."

"Does he report to anyone else?"

"Yes he did, and I think I saw who he was. I was brought along with their recruiter once and there was this guy. He looked kind of scary and was giving out orders. He seemed like some kind of boss type person and the guy who recruited me answered his questions."

"Maybe you could have been a gang leader", I asked.

"Maybe! He looked older than the other recruiters. More experience, kinda like he's been in the game for awhile and everyone looked to him as if they respected him. Usually people like me, the kids, we never get to meet the leader so maybe it was a mistake for me to even see him in the first place. After that, I didn't hear back from my recruiter in awhile I wonder if they...you know, took him out."