Javier (Chapter 27)

Week seven of basic training...

"Pistol training was so cool today, I was look'n all cool and everything, too bad the girls can't see", Demetri said.

"Yeah. That's the most badass I've ever looked", An'twan said.

"Guys, that was not about looking badass. We need to take that seriously. It's not all about shooting, it's about—"

"Maintaining your weapon, yeah, yeah Javi, lighten up, you sound like a dad", Xavier said.

"Nothing wrong with that. Someone needs to be responsible", I said.

Demetri stood in front of me, stopping me from walking.

"What's gotten into you man? You're not your usual", he said.

I let out a sigh.

"Sorry. Just a lot has been on my mind. Did you hear about what happened in Greenwaters, my hometown?"

"Yeah! I can't believe they attacked a police station! They must have some big ass balls to do that", An'twan said.

"Yeah because they're a gang", Demetri said.

"No, not just any gang. They are something big. I mean how many gangs would do something like that? None would even try, no matter how much money you dangle in their face", Xavier said.

"Before that gangs were turning themselves in all of a sudden, they didn't want to be on the streets. Whoever this new gang is, they're extremely powerful", I said.

"They won't last forever, right? I mean once the military rolls in, they'll take them out for sure."

"Yeah but still. Mind if I go make a phone call? I just need to talk to someone right now."

"Sure, we'll be around", An'twan said.

"Thanks guys."

I went over to the phones and dialed the usual number.

"Hello?"

"Sarina, hey, it's me."

"Javi! It's been too long since you called me. I got worried they sent you to war or something."

I chuckled.

"No, nothing like that. I've just been busy that's all, sorry. I have one more week of training before graduation. You're coming, right?"

"Duh! You don't have to ask twice. I haven't been in contact with Grace in a while, is she coming too", she asked.

"Yep. She's taking the first flight out of there that day."

"Ugh Grace! She'll be late."

"That's our Grace for you. Anyway, how have things been, in general, I mean", I asked.