Tyler (Chapter 37)🎃

Halloween night...🎃

On nights like these, usually it's not too bad. I just respond to stupid teenagers stealing kid's candy or toilet papering a house. I can't believe kids still do that. After they're busted I just give them the same old speech about how what they are doing is wrong and can lead to something worse later in life. Of course, they don't care. Josh would normally rough them up, scaring them into thinking twice about what they did. He's tough on them because he hates working Halloween night. He's lucky this time. I made a deal with him, I'll cover for him if he won't bother me about the party. I don't care if he has my house, I just want no part in it.

I walked the sidewalk, greeting people as they passed me and answering questions from kids who are wondering if I'm a real cop. Of course, the next question after that is if they could see my gun. Kids really don't care about the good we do, just about how many people we shot. That's why I don't volunteer to go to school for those drug prevention programs. I did once and I hated it. I prefer to deal with crimes and detective work.

As I continued walking I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I took it out to see it was a text from Sarina.

[Sarina] I know you aren't interested in coming to the party but, I'm here! I just wanted to let you know. It's really fun and I wish you were here. At least for me, pleaseeeeeee.

I rolled my eyes

[Me] No means no. I'm busy now.

[Sarina] 😒 Fine, suit yourself.

I slid my phone back into my pocket and continued on my patrol.

A few minutes later...

I let out a sigh as I pulled up into the driveway.

"I can't believe I'm doing this", I said to myself.

For some reason, I ended up at my house, the last place I wanted to be. I told myself it might not be that bad if I stayed away from everyone. Still, I really don't want to be here.

After taking a moment I finally got out of the car. I still had my uniform on but left my belt in the office. I navigated my way around people, greeting them so as to not appear like a jerk. I, unfortunately, ran into Josh who was clearly tipsy.

"Yo Tyler! I can't believe you're here! Take this, drink and loosen up", he said as he shoved a red cup in my hand.

I guess he was supposed to be some mafia member or something. Even though it's a costume, he looks legit. I always knew Josh had a dark side. I've seen it before when he let his anger get the best of him. He would get into fights and show no mercy. This was all when we were kids but then his mom signed him up to learn martial arts and ever since that day he learned to control himself. I still question where that side of him comes from, maybe his dad's side. That side of his family is still unknown to him.

I took the drink from him. He was staring at me, waiting for me to down the whole thing. So I did.

"Yeahhhh!"

I winced, whatever it is, it's strong. Hopefully, it doesn't kill me.

"Would you stop screaming!"

"I'm sorry man, I promise I won't do it again. As long as you stick around and have fun. Go to the bar, it's packed with good shit."

I glanced over at what used to be my kitchen. It was full of drinks.

"Just, don't do anything stupid", I said.

"Yeah, yeah. Oh...if you're looking for Sarina, I just saw her...she's smok'n hot...like cute and hot. Don't worry, she's all yours, although she's with that soldier...Javier. I gotta feeling they like...have a thing you know...I don't know...it doesn't matter, just slid up in there and steal her away...you know? Go up to your bedroom and—"

"Goodbye Josh", I said, cutting him off.

Like I care who she chooses to hang out with. I went over to my kitchen, and grabbed two cups, I don't know what's in it like earlier. I didn't care, I drank both of them before going on my way.

I found myself looking for her, I couldn't lie to myself. She was nowhere to be found. He did say she was with Javier. That doesn't tell me where though.

I kept on walking around until I ended up in the backyard where I spotted them.

She was laughing.

"Javi stop, don't say things like that."

"What? I'm a guy, you know me by now."

I didn't approach them or anything. In fact, I don't know why I'm hiding. It must be the alcohol.

Javier placed his arms around her waist, pulling her close, and then leaned in to kiss her. She giggled into the kiss and then hugged him back. His hand moved down lower, she was wearing a very short skirt, something I feel like she would usually never wear. Her hands quickly caught his, raising them up back to her waist.

What am I doing?

I turned around to walk back inside and then out to the front yard where it was empty. I dug in my pocket for a cigarette and lighter. All of a sudden, I could feel that I was a bit grumpy. I don't know why.

Actually, I do but I don't want to admit why.

I'll just blame it on the alcohol.