Sarina (Chapter 13)

"Over here are the list of the recipes, it's super easy. It's not like following a recipe book."

Today's the first day at my new job. My coworker Angie is teaching me the ropes, she's really nice.

"So basically, you read this. For example, for a tropical smoothie you'll first ask what size they want. Then you use one of these cups as your measurements. Bananas, pineapples, and mangoes. Then you add some syrup and ice and press blend. Take the cup, pour it in and there you have it."

"Looks easy...what about the register...I feel like I'll suck at that", I said.

"Don't worry about that. I wasn't good at it in the beginning either."

We walked to the register.

"So you look for tropical, click the size, if there is anything the customer added, you go to extras and then select what they added. It'll be an extra charge. If they ask you how much an extra item is you can go here and then back out of it. Once you have everything all set you just click total and then click card or cash. After that it's easy."

"Okay, I think I got it."

"Don't worry, I have the same schedule as you. I'll be here to help."

"Thank you so much", I said with a smile.

Angie spent the first hours of the shift helping me and soon I was taking care of customers by myself. Soon we went on break. Angie and I sat down together, enjoying our smoothies.

"So I heard this is your first job", she said.

"Yep."

"You're young so it's a good first job for you."

"How old are you?"

"23. Not my ideal job but it buys food for my son and I."

"How old is your son?"

"Six. Being a teen mom was hard, but I don't regret having my son. He's super smart, top of the class in school."

"That's great, he'll take care of you some day."

"I always joke around telling him that. When you're rich, you'll take care of mommy."

We both laughed.

"I think about going to college but that's pricy so I might settle on some kind of certification somewhere", she said.

"That's smart. I don't know what I want to do if I go to college. I don't know what to do with my life at all."

"Don't worry about it. You'll figure it out, trust me. Sometimes life will hit you out of nowhere and you'll learn to embrace it."

"That's true", I said.

"So, have a boyfriend", she said in a singing tone.

"No...never did really."

"Honestly, that's good. My son's no-good father was a waste of my time. I got pressured into getting a boyfriend because that's what everyone was doing. So please, take your time."