chapter 1

Ruyang County’s Santou Mountain.

At the foot of the mountain, the rice fields were lush with green seedlings, exuding a pleasant fragrance. The farmers gathered in groups at the foot of Santou Mountain, looking up at the young man walking on the narrow mountain path.

The young man stood tall and straight, dressed in sturdy attire that accentuated his slender and solid waistline. His jet-black hair was neatly tied up, and he carried a dagger at his waist and a bow and arrow on his back. He exuded a sense of vitality and charisma with his striking demeanor.

The farmers whispered to each other from time to time, filled with curiosity.

“Whose child is this? He dares to venture into the mountains alone?”

“He looks somewhat familiar. I think he is… the young master of the county magistrate’s family! I happened to see him once when I went to the market to buy medicine for my mother.”

“You mean the benevolent and intelligent young master? How could he enter Santou Mountain? There are man-eating jackals, wolves, and leopards in that mountain!”

“Even our local hunters dare not venture into the mountain alone!”

The murmurs continued, and more and more farmers gathered.

Suddenly, a simple horse carriage with several servants hurriedly arrived at the end of the muddy road. The hooves of the horses kicked up specks of mud, which splattered on their garments, but nobody paid it any mind. After the carriage came to a stop, the leader of the group anxiously and sorrowfully walked up to the foot of Santou Mountain and knelt down directly.

“Young Master, how could you venture into the mountain alone!”

The old servant’s voice choked with tears as he wiped his eyes, his voice growing louder in anguish. “Madam is gravely ill. We have searched all the pharmacies in Ruyang County, but we lack one particular herb. The doctor said that only Santou Mountain has it. But how could you go into the mountain alone!”

The servants behind him began to sob, “Young Master, please come back quickly.”

The old servant’s voice became more hoarse and desperate, each word filled with tears. “This humble servant knows that you are filial to Madam and fear no danger, not even the jackals, wolves, and leopards. But Santou Mountain is too treacherous. Please think twice, Young Master!”

The farmers on the side suddenly realized, “So, the magistrate’s son entered the mountain alone to gather herbs for the magistrate’s wife!”

Some people already had tears in their eyes. “We have heard about the magistrate’s son’s filial piety, but we didn’t expect him to go this far for his mother. Look, the more they call out, the faster the magistrate’s son walks. He just doesn’t want these people to stop him!”

An old man sighed and said, “If only I had such a son, I could wake up laughing from dreaming.”

During the Northern Zhou Dynasty, loyalty and filial piety were the principles governing the country. Anyone who displayed loyalty and filial piety was respected by the people.

But no matter how the servants shouted, the young man in his spring attire continued to walk without stopping, resolutely entering the dense forest.