chapter 142

The next day, Yuan Li instructed the personnel from the Liangliao Institution several times to find ways to safely bring Zhou Gongdan back to Youzhou.

For this day of return, the Liangliao Institution had been preparing for many years. When they learned that Jia Qing and his subordinates and family would also go to Youzhou, the Liangliao Institution quickly adjusted their plans and made the necessary preparations.

On the second day, Jia Qing's family was secretly taken out of Yexian County. On the third day, Jia Qing's subordinates openly attacked the prison with troops and rescued Jia Qing before quickly escaping Jizhou.

With the assistance of the Liangliao Institution, once Jia Qing was rescued, he immediately headed towards Youzhou.

Zhou Gongdan didn't tell Jia Qing who his master was, and Jia Qing didn't ask, but they both knew it in their hearts.

The renowned scholar, who had only known Zhou Gongdan for less than two months and had an aide who had served two lords before... Zhou Gongdan basically told him the answer. His enlightened lord was none other than Yuan Li, the Governor of Youzhou and Bingzhou.

Yuan Li, Yuan Le Jun.

Jia Qing had thought of many people, including Chu Hechao, but he never expected that the person behind it all would be Yuan Li.

Could Yuan Li's ambition be so great? Could he have such a strong influence in Youzhou and Bingzhou?

Jia Qing's mind was in turmoil. He didn't know what kind of person Yuan Li was, nor did he know what his future would be. But regardless, since he had come this far, he could only continue. He could only place his hope on Yuan Li and hope that Yuan Li would be as reliable as Zhou Gongdan described.

In Yexian County, Jizhou:

When it was discovered that Jia Qing had taken troops and fled without permission, Wu Shanshi was almost driven to madness.

Although many generals in this world escaped with their troops without authorization, Wu Shanshi never thought that Jia Qing would be one of them. Jia Qing's loyalty to him had made him overlook the human desire for survival. Due to his carelessness, he hadn't even ordered to detain Jia Qing's subordinates.

The rage of betrayal burned within him, and Wu Shanshi slammed the table with a dark expression, "Send people to pursue him! Go quickly! If you can't catch him, all of you will be beheaded!"

His subordinates trembled and immediately led troops to chase after Jia Qing.

The response from Jizhou was swift, but their hastily organized troops couldn't compare to the Liangliao Institution's years of preparation. Even after half a month had passed, Wu Shanshi had gained nothing.

Every day, Wu Shanshi would curse and doubt the loyalty of his subordinates. Especially the generals who led the troops, were trembling with fear, and many of them entertained thoughts of running away.

While Wu Shanshi's attention was entirely focused on Jia Qing, nobody noticed that Zhou Gongdan, who was already seriously ill, had quietly "passed away."

In mid-March, everything was reviving, and spring was in full bloom.

It happened to be the 13th day, Yuan Li's birthday. Early in the morning, Yuan Li, who was dragged out of bed by Chu Hechao, was waiting for the arrival of Jia Qing and Zhou Gongdan.

Yuan Li perked up and was about to change his clothes to welcome the two, but Chu Hechao held him back firmly and said, "Finish the noodles first."

"Okay," Yuan Li obediently complied, biting a strand of noodle and sucking it from end to end. He mumbled vaguely, "Who cooked it today? It's delicious."