chapter 133

The news of Chu Hechao killing Li Li spread throughout Luoyang City the next day.

Upon learning that Li Li's body had been hung on the city walls, the enraged citizens of Luoyang rushed to the scene with their families, spitting on the corpse and throwing stones in their expression of resentment.

Chu Hechao and Yuan Li, who had killed the traitors Yan Hui and Li Li, gained a reputation that was admired by others.

The Emperor began preparing rewards for their efforts in rescuing him. However, the embarrassing situation was that all the money and precious metals had already been stolen by Li Li, and the dignity of the Northern Zhou royal family had been thoroughly trampled upon. The Emperor had nothing substantial to offer, only official positions and titles.

However, the bestowing of official positions was not that easy, as each state in the country had its own military power and giving out official positions could only be done for officials at the imperial court. The highest position in the imperial court was that of the Three Excellencies.

There used to be a Cabinet that was even higher than the Three Excellencies, but Emperor Jianyuan finally realized before his death that the Cabinet he had established was redundant and more harmful than beneficial, so he personally dissolved it.

The Emperor, Qin Wen, was torn and indecisive.

Although the reputation of the Three Excellencies was renowned, they were only honorary titles. He knew that Yuan Li and Chu Hechao would not want them.

As for titles, Chu Hechao was already the new Chu Wang after Chu Wang's death, so how could he be given an even higher title? As for Yuan Li, did they want to give him a dukedom...?

But Yuan Li was so young, if he were given a dukedom, what would he do in the future? Should he be given a Wang title?

Between Emperor Taizu and Emperor Jianyuan, each generation of emperors had been trying to eliminate the power of the Wang clans and weaken their influence. How could the Emperor easily give someone a Wang title?

The Emperor was truly troubled, so he sought out Yuan Li and asked what rewards they desired.

In truth, Yuan Li and Chu Hechao had no intention of seeking any rewards. They knew the Emperor had nothing to offer, and the prestige and intangible rewards they had gained from killing Li Li were already enough to satisfy them.

Yuan Li smiled and said, "Saving Your Majesty is our duty; naturally, we dare not ask for anything. If possible, after Your Majesty returns to the south, you can leave Luoyang to me to take care of. Once I rebuild Luoyang's former prosperity, I will welcome Your Majesty back from Yangzhou."

Touched and tearful, the Emperor said, "General Yuan, the way you treat me... I have no way to repay you..."

Yuan Li smiled faintly, "I am a subject of Northern Zhou, Your Majesty's subject. To serve you wholeheartedly until death is not excessive. If Your Majesty feels indebted, then please promote and grant titles to my subordinates and General Chu Hechao."

How could the Emperor refuse? He felt that Yuan Li was truly considerate and had found a way to reward them without compromising the dignity of the Northern Zhou royal family. The Emperor hardly hesitated and immediately wrote an edict, granting official positions and titles to Yuan Li and Chu Hechao's subordinates.

Yuan Li suggested, and the Emperor complied. After finishing writing the edict, the Emperor's hand was sore. He sighed and said, "Governor Yuan, this has been the day I've written the most."

Yuan Li collected the edicts and smiled, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

The Emperor, relieved from the worries that had troubled him for days, was pleased. He invited Yuan Li to stay in the palace for dinner that evening. After the meal, they took a stroll together in the imperial palace, chatting and laughing all the way, thoroughly enjoying themselves.