chapter 38

Chu Hechao's face turned a mix of green and red in an instant.

Realizing what he had done, he quickly let go as if the matter burned his hands and took several steps back before abruptly turning around and running away.

However, in his haste, he stumbled and slipped on the ground, falling directly into the water.

A tremendous splash erupted.

Yuan Li's eyebrows twitched, and in the next moment, Chu Hechao had already climbed out of the water. With a darkened face, he didn't pause for a moment and swiftly ran to the opposite bank, his fleeing figure resembling an escapee.

He Lang, who witnessed the entire scene, was dumbfounded, his jaw almost dropping into the river. "Wha-what, what's wrong with the General..."

But in an instant, he shivered and began to worry about himself.

Would he be silenced for witnessing the General's embarrassing moment?

Yuan Li's half burning anger was still there, but the other half was rendered speechless by Chu Hechao's embarrassing display. His mouth twitched a couple of times, and deliberately raising his voice when Chu Hechao reached the shore, he called out, "Chu Hechao–"

The man, who had already climbed onto the bank, slipped again and nearly fell into the river, but he didn't turn his head back and swiftly ran away, disappearing without a trace.

After that escape, he was nowhere to be seen for the rest of the day.

It wasn't until evening that Chu Hechao, wearing wrinkled clothes and carrying a deer on his back, appeared in front of Yuan Li's tent.

He stood outside for a while, standing even straighter than the sentinels on guard. It was only when the sentinels kept glancing at him that Chu Hechao spoke, "Go and tell the people inside that I've come to seek an audience."

The soldier entered the tent and soon came back out, saying, "General, the young master refuses to see you."

Chu Hechao took a deep breath, his brows and eyes still composed and icy, as if he had completely regained his calmness. He spoke again, "Tell him I've come to ask for forgiveness."

The soldier rushed into the tent, and this time, the person inside finally allowed Chu Hechao to enter.

But instead, Chu Hechao hesitated and wavered, even feeling an impulse to turn around and run away. It seemed like the person inside the tent knew exactly what he was thinking, and a voice, neither cold nor warm, came through as if the anger had not dissipated, "General, are you planning to stand outside to seek forgiveness?"

Chu Hechao remained silent.

He took a step and walked inside, not looking at Yuan Li. Instead, he stared straight ahead and said concisely, "I acted recklessly this morning."

"Is that how you seek forgiveness?" Yuan Li said coldly.

Yuan Li's anger had subsided considerably by now, and he wasn't very angry anymore.

In fact, Chu Hechao had only bumped into his waist. They were all men, and there was no talk of taking advantage of each other. Moreover, Yuan Li, who had seen the world from the future, had witnessed many instances of mutual assistance among brothers and friends.

But even if he wasn't angry, Yuan Li still had to vent his frustration about himself in the morning.

If Chu Hechao hadn't pulled him into the water, if he hadn't yanked him back, would such an awkward situation have occurred? Would he still feel uncomfortable thinking about it now?