chapter 79

After returning to the residence, Chu Hechao immediately sent someone to investigate whether there were people from Luoyang entering or leaving the Cai Ji Residence.

Youzhou was vast, and Jixian County was not small either. With the constant flow of Hu people and refugees, it would be difficult to notice a few people from Luoyang coming and going. In these troubled times, people were fleeing from one territory to another, and even in Yizhou under the control of Inspector Wu Shanshi or in the territory of Chen Liu Wang, nobody knew who these people passing through their territories were or where they came from.

From today's events, Yuan Li noticed a major loophole.

The control of the Chu Wang Mansion over Youzhou was too weak. Chu Wang and his wife had been staying in Luoyang for a long time and rarely returned to Youzhou. Chu Hechao himself was stationed in the northern frontier and seldom had the chance to return to Youzhou. Chu Mingfeng, although intelligent, was physically limited and thousands of miles away, making him well-intentioned but powerless.

With no lord present, Youzhou had been neglected for over a decade or two, and the influence of the Chu Wang Mansion couldn't compare to the local gentry and landlords.

This couldn't continue.

After a day filled with Hu people spies and Cai Ji's unusual behavior, Yuan Li's sense of vigilance grew stronger.

Who knew how many hidden enemies lurked in Youzhou?

They needed to gradually investigate the grassroots of Youzhou to gain true control over the region.

However, Yuan Li's intelligence organization was just newly established and couldn't immediately develop into a complete network.

They barely ate anything at Cai Ji's banquet. Returning to the mansion, both of them were hungry. They hurriedly had the kitchen prepare some food, and they sat down in the dining hall to eat.

While eating, Yuan Li was still lost in thought. Suddenly, he felt a tap on his forehead. He looked up and saw Chu Hechao, his voice stern as he admonished, "Focus on eating."

Though his words were strict, he couldn't help but smile. Gone was the arrogance and coldness from their first meeting; he looked as happy as a fool.

Yuan Li obediently responded and began eating. He had a hearty appetite, even more so than many others, but Chu Hechao's appetite was even greater. He ate quickly, and soon his bowl was empty.

Seeing him eat so quickly, Yuan Li extended his chopsticks to block Chu Hechao's and said, "Don't eat so fast, it's not good for your health."

Chu Hechao raised an eyebrow, put down his chopsticks, leaned back on the chair, and smirked, "Now you're starting to manage me?"

Yuan Li silently looked at him for a moment, then retrieved his chopsticks and focused on eating without responding to him.

After a while, his hand, which was hidden under the table, was secretly held and squeezed by Chu Hechao. Chu Hechao whispered in his ear, "Alright, alright, I'll let you manage me."

After finishing their meal, the two of them went for a walk together.

The estate was spacious, with many trees. They had dug a lake on the southern side, and with the recent rainfall, the lake was now filled to the brim. Lily pads had grown along the lake shore, their flowers still hidden within the buds, and there were many koi fish swimming in the water.

In public, Yuan Li and Chu Hechao maintained a serious demeanor, keeping a distance of one person between them when walking. They put on a show, pretending as much as they could. But once they reached the secluded woods, Yuan Li was lifted into Chu Hechao's arms.