chapter 6

Early the next morning, three carriages were parked in front of Chu Wang Mansion.

Chu Hechao, holding the reins, sat atop his horse at the forefront, his sturdy arms encircling the reins, his lips cold and rigid.

Yang Zhongfa, dressed in coarse clothing, rode on a horse behind him, positioned half a body's length away from Chu Hechao. His eyes occasionally glanced at the gate of Chu Wang Mansion as he whispered, "General, why hasn't your sister-in-law come out yet?"

Chu Hechao couldn't be bothered to speak.

Yang Zhongfa chuckled and was about to say something more when his spirits suddenly lifted. "He's coming out!"

Chu Hechao looked towards the gate and saw Yuan Li, dressed in vibrant spring attire, leading a horse out of the residence with a smile on his face.

His black hair was tied up high with a bright red ribbon, flowing and intertwined, with playful curls framing his temples, revealing a hint of delight. Yuan Li had tightly cinched his waist, carrying a water flask and a dagger, and held a black and red horsewhip in his hand.

"Oh!" Yang Zhongfa exclaimed in surprise. "Luoyang is a hundred miles away from Ruyang. Even with a fast horse, it would take a day. Is he sure he doesn't want to take a carriage and instead ride a horse all day long?"

This wasn't a matter of just one or two hours, but an entire day. Someone without sufficient stamina would likely have their legs cramped up by the end.

Before his words could fully sink in, Yang Zhongfa saw Yuan Li smoothly mount the horse, skillfully wrapping his right hand around the reins. His posture was absolutely stunning! The horse beneath him seemed more obedient than Yang Zhongfa's own youngest son.

"...," Yang Zhongfa clicked his tongue. "He looks like he can ride a hundred miles in one breath."

Yuan Li rode up to their side. It seemed that because he was returning home today, he was particularly radiant, his eyes bright, and a smile graced his face. The vigor of youth was fully displayed as he spoke, "General, when shall we depart?"

Chu Hechao replied calmly, "Now."

With those words, he flicked the whip and took the lead.

Yuan Li tightened the reins, gently patted the horse's backside, and lowered his voice, "Let's go, darling. I've nourished you for a thousand days, and now I'll make use of you. Run well today."

The chestnut horse let out a low neigh and began to trot leisurely.

Riding within Luoyang City was not allowed, so Yuan Li took this opportunity to take in the bustling sights of the city.

The capital truly deserved its title, with bustling crowds and towering city walls. The streets were smooth and clean, without the feces and mud that could be seen anywhere in the countryside.

As they passed by the National Academy, a cuju* suddenly flew over the wall. Yuan Li instinctively reached out and caught it. In the next moment, a young man in green clothes poked his head out from behind the wall, with a few blades of grass mixed in his hair, and shouted towards Yuan Li, "Brother, can you help throw the cuju back?"
* ancient Chinese soccer ball

Yuan Li replied, "Make way!"

The young man quickly stepped aside, and Yuan Li raised his hand and threw the ball. It soared through the air, drawing a perfect arc, and landed precisely in the hands of the young man.

"Impressive skills!" The young man looked at Yuan Li with delight and said cheerfully, "I am Zhan Shaoning from the Capital's Magistrate Office. May I have the pleasure of getting to know you?"