chapter 135

On that evening, the banquet was extremely lively, with everyone drinking and having fun, laughter echoing throughout.

Wu Kai, Yuan Dan, and a few others ended up with flushed faces and were the first to pass out on the table.

Yang Zhongfa and Yuan Congyun pointed at them and laughed heartily, playfully pulling each other to pour more wine for Chu Hechao.

Chu Hechao glanced at them casually.

In such a setting, Yang Zhongfa and Yuan Congyun were completely at ease. Yang Zhongfa even winked at Chu Hechao and said, "Lord Yuan is right here, General, don't tell me you're afraid to drink?"

Yuan Congyun hiccupped, not quite sure why Yang Zhongfa mentioned Lord Yuan, but his muddled brain followed along and echoed, "Yeah, General."

Yang Zhongfa continued, "General, it's a celebration. You have to drink and have fun tonight."

Yuan Congyun added, "Yeah, General."

Yuan Li couldn't help but smile, supporting his head with his hand as he watched the scene unfold.

His lips were moist with the wine, glistening enticingly under the candlelight.

Chu Hechao replied, "I won't drink. Your Lord Yuan doesn't like it when I drink."

"Today is an exception," Yuan Li said with a smile, a touch of mischief in his eyes. "You can drink to your heart's content."

Yuan Congyun slurred, "Yeah, General."

Chu Hechao glanced at Yuan Li, raised an eyebrow, and then picked up his wine cup, downing it in one gulp.

With the aroma of wine filling the air, the joyous atmosphere continued. The celebrations at the Chu Wang's Mansion lasted for several days before slowly calming down.

Worried that they might not be happy enough, Yuan Li presented them with the decree he obtained.

Both he and Chu Hechao's subordinates received promotions and titles. Yuan Li's subordinates like Liu Jixin, Guo Mao, Xiang Hongyun, and others would now receive double salaries. One from Yuan Li and the other from the court.

Although the court was currently struggling to afford salaries, official positions and subordinates still held considerable prestige in the eyes of the public.

Those who had followed Chu Hechao in defeating Huyan Wuzhu, such as Yang Zhongfa, Mi Yang, and He Lang, were not forgotten by Yuan Li. He made sure to reward them with what they were rightfully entitled to.

As for Zhou Gongdan, he should also have received a decree, but Yuan Li feared it would expose him, so he didn't pursue the matter.

March was a time of rejuvenation for all living things.

Yuan Li took Chu Hechao to inspect the reclamation matters and distributed the hundreds of thousands of people they had brought back to various counties in You and Bingzhou.

The reclamation efforts they began in May of the previous year already yielded results during their military campaign. When the autumn harvest came, the harvest was surprisingly thirty percent more than previous years.

This was a remarkable increase. Delighted, Yuan Li praised Guo Mao generously and instructed him to extend the reclamation strategy to the areas outside Guangyang County, urging other counties in Youzhou and Bingzhou to quickly implement reclamation.

"Remember," Yuan Li instructed, "do not forcefully conscript the people, let them volunteer."

Guo Mao beamed with joy, "Lord, rest assured, leave this matter to me."