chapter 64

Everyone knows that Yuan Li will eventually marry and have children.

Even widows can remarry, let alone Yuan Li, who is a man needed to carry on the family line. When Yuan Li celebrated the marriage for Chu Mingfeng, the Chu Wang Mansion made it very clear that it was a noble act done to save a life. No one truly believed that Yuan Li would remain unmarried for the rest of his life for the sake of Chu Mingfeng, who had only been married for half a month. If the Chu Wang Mansion dared to demand such a thing, Ouyang Ting would be the first to disagree, and there would be an uproar in the Yuan Mansion of Ruyang County. Soon after, Ouyang Ting's literary friends would join forces to condemn it.

Ouyang Ting was not the kind of person who would allow his disciples to be bullied.

Even if Yuan Li got married, his relationship and favor with the Chu Wang Mansion would never be erased. Yang Zhongfa was well aware of this, as Yuan Li was a good person with strong abilities, and Yang Zhongfa was delighted to see good things happen to Yuan Li.

Dealing with Chu Hechao, who had never taken a wife, was already difficult enough for him. Yang Zhongfa had been persuading Chu Hechao to marry for several years without success. Sometimes, he felt incredibly frustrated. Chu Hechao was handsome and had both status and heroic qualities. He was a proper man, so why was he unwilling to marry? Yang Zhongfa believed that Chu Hechao simply hadn't experienced the benefits of having a wife.

Yang Zhongfa had exhausted his efforts in persuading Chu Hechao and gave up on him but he couldn't let Yuan Li follow Chu Hechao's bad example. If there was an opportunity to marry after being crowned, wouldn't that be an additional joy?

It would also indirectly stimulate the general. Yang Zhongfa had a plan in mind. Even his sister-in-law, who was seven or eight years younger, was getting married. The general couldn't continue to delay, could he?

Chu Hechao sipped his tea, looking indifferent. "What good fortune?"

"Young Master Yuan and Miss Cui," Yang Zhongfa lowered his voice. "Haven't you noticed?"

Chu Hechao's hand holding the water suddenly trembled, and it spilled onto his black gloves.

"Oh, General, be careful," Yang Zhongfa casually wiped it off with his sleeve and enthusiastically said, "Cui Xiaocheng's granddaughter must be knowledgeable, gentle, and virtuous. Although they only exchanged a few hurried words, one can already sense her noble demeanor. Young Master Yuan will surely be rewarded with a noble title for helping us slay the Xiongnu leader. A beauty with the hero, wouldn't that be a great story?"

"I believe that Cui Xiaocheng allowed his granddaughter to thank Young Master Yuan with a purpose in mind..."

His words intermittently reached Chu Hechao's ears, as if coming from a distant place.

Chu Hechao asked, "What did you say?"

Yang Zhongfa didn't notice the change in Chu Hechao's tone and continued, "I don't know if Young Master Yuan has such intentions, but judging from his happy appearance and smile..."

Chu Hechao's breathing became heavy.

His fingers became stiff, and the teacup almost slipped from his hand, only to be gripped tightly just in time.

Good things were coming?

Chu Hechao's lips twitched, but he couldn't make it into a smile. He glanced sideways at Yuan Li next to him, then lifted his gaze to the folding screen.

Details that he hadn't noticed before now caught his eye, fueling baseless speculation. The pattern on the folding screen depicted a phoenix, could it represent the Cui family's intentions for a marriage alliance?