chapter 153

Even without the armor, Yuan Congyun fought fiercely in this battle.

They remembered the bitter victory from many years ago, the battlefield covered with corpses and their fallen comrades.

From Chu Hechao to the soldiers, everyone held a burning anger inside, wanting to avenge the fallen.

The night before the army set out, Yang Zhongfa had come to drink with Chu Hechao. After a few cups of wine, he cried with tears streaming down his face, choking up as he said to Chu Hechao, "General, I'm getting old. I don't know if, before I die, I'll get to see the Wuwan people exterminated and witness the day when our brothers and my sons are avenged..."

Chu Hechao replied, "You will."

Yang Zhongfa trusted his words.

Once the arrows were released, the intense battle began.

The archers first killed a group of enemies, and then the infantry advanced under the protection of the shield bearers.

Chu Hechao and Gulichi clashed head-on, strength against strength. In this kind of direct confrontation, the strength of the general leading the troops mattered, as well as whose weapons were sharper and sturdier, and whose soldiers were more vigorous and courageous.

People fell continuously in the front lines, and others quickly replaced them from the rear. The dead bodies were moved aside, and the severely wounded soldiers were expertly carried to the rear for medical treatment.

The soldiers of Youzhou had been trained to be well-organized on the battlefield, even amidst combat.

In this campaign against the Wuwan people, they brought more than a hundred medical personnel, a number several times higher than in other armies.

To provide timely treatment to the wounded, they also brought several carts of medicinal herbs on every march.

Knowing that Yuan Li's medical materials were available, and there were medical personnel, the soldiers were confident that they would receive treatment if they were injured. That's why they dared to risk their lives and achieve great feats for Yuan Li.

All the soldiers of Youzhou remembered that they were eating Yuan Li's food and the meat he provided. Their armor winter clothing and boots were all prepared by Yuan Li.

Because the Governor treated them so well and provided such good conditions, how could they not fight to the death for Yuan Li?

Where else would they find a superior treating lowly soldiers to such an extent?

The soldiers of Youzhou felt gratitude towards Yuan Li which exceeded everyone's imagination. They were willing to sacrifice their lives and shed blood for Yuan Li's sake.

Unlike the completely loyal North Frontier Army, this group of soldiers, who had been trained by Yuan Li from scratch, were already more loyal to Yuan Li than to Chu Hechao, even though Chu Hechao was the one who frequently commanded them in battle.

Chu Hechao naturally noticed this, but he didn't intervene and chose to let things develop naturally.

Yuan Li had such ambitious goals; that he needed a completely loyal army.

When the arrow rain from the soldiers of Youzhou shot towards them, Gulichi started sweating.

This arrow rain was too powerful and dense, and its range was far longer than that of Gulichi's archers! The beginning didn't go well, and Gulichi gritted his teeth and roared, "Press forward."

But on the battlefield, one must never retreat; that was a great taboo!

When they got closer to a certain distance, the arrow rain lost its effectiveness. Gulichi sighed in relief and sent his troops to attack without hesitation.