chapter 112

Yang Zhongfa's determination to persuade them to separate made Yuan Li's heart sink further.

He had to think about it.

If even Yang Zhongfa resisted so strongly, how much more resistant would his parents be?

Chu Hechao's lips tightened.

His face was obscured by shadows, making it impossible to discern his expression. But it certainly wasn't a good mood. Yang Zhongfa was familiar with Chu Hechao. Even if Chu Hechao stood still, his tall and upright figure appeared indomitable. But Yang Zhongfa knew that every word he said struck a nerve with Chu Hechao. Some words might only be a few words long, but they could hurt like a knife.

However, as long as they were together, such words would only increase and become more frequent.

Yang Zhongfa steeled his heart and continued to look at Yuan Li. "Lord Yuan, you have great aspirations and exceptional talents. Engaging in an incestuous relationship with your in-law will only tarnish your reputation. People all over the world will suspect the legitimacy of your position as a provincial governor and your achievements. You are eight years younger than the General – eight years! You are still young, while the General is already established. The General might appear ageless now, but what about ten years from now? Twenty years? Thirty, fifty years from now... I don't want to see you waste your prime time on the General. Please, Lord Yuan, return to your normal life."

Every word he said seemed to be leaning towards Yuan Li, but he was actually protecting Chu Hechao.

Yang Zhongfa's expression pleaded, and his eyes were heavy with emotion. Yuan Li's lips were dry, the previous sweet taste of the candied haws had vanished, leaving a bitter aftertaste. Just as he was about to speak, Chu Hechao spoke first.

"... I said, if you have something to say, say it to me, why talk to him? He just turned into an adult, what does he understand? It was me who deceived him and crossed the line with him. I stand by my words. If he dares to agree to anything you say, I'll break his legs. Do you hear that, my good sister-in-law?"

Yang Zhongfa's face turned iron-blue. He never expected Chu Hechao to be so unreasonable. He was so angry that his breathing became erratic. "General, how dare you do this?!"

Chu Hechao's breathing gradually became slow and heavy. He grinned slightly, "What can't I do? I dared to kidnap him while he was alive, would I not dare to do so after he died?"

"Go back," Chu Hechao said, "As for tonight's events, pretend you saw nothing and know nothing. Don't speak of it to anyone else."

"..." Yang Zhongfa took a deep breath, gritting his teeth. "That's impossible. This matter must be resolved tonight, and it cannot be delayed any longer!"

Yang Zhongfa's attitude was even more agitated than Yuan Li had imagined, and it furrowed Yuan Li's brows.

Clearly, Yang Zhongfa couldn't listen to anything at the moment, and persuasion wouldn't work. Yuan Li didn't rush to speak, contemplating how to handle the situation, and at the same time, observing Yang Zhongfa's expression closely.

Just as Yang Zhongfa was about to walk towards Yuan Li, he raised his voice, "Lord Yuan, you've heard what the General said. Are you really going to continue this wrong path with him?"

Chu Hechao reached out and stopped him.

Yang Zhongfa shouted at Chu Hechao again in a low voice, "General, forcing a melon to ripen will not make it sweet. You don't want me to talk to Lord Yuan because you have doubts, don't you? You feel that the two of you can't continue like this forever, right? You know it in your heart, you know that this road is difficult, and I don't need to say much, but sooner or later, you will fall apart. If your feelings are true and steadfast, why would you fear my few words? Don't you want to hear what Lord Yuan thinks?"