chapter 72

Upon reaching the door of the room, Lin Tian quickly took off his raincoat and was about to help Yuan Li remove his raincoat, but Yuan Li said, "You go first."

Lin Tian asked, "Master?"

Yuan Li's face was concealed beneath a bamboo hat, making it difficult to discern his expression. He said, "Go."

Lin Tian bent down and said, "I'll go prepare hot water for you, sir."

Yuan Li removed his raincoat, shook off the rainwater, and hung it on a wooden peg by the door. He entered the room and closed the door.

It was a corridor, and Chu Hechao and Yang Zhongfa lived opposite. Through the crack in the door, Yuan Li saw a man in a raincoat turning around, as if he were looking at him, yet it seemed as though he was observing the tea plum blossoms in the courtyard fragmented by the heavy rain.

Yuan Li's breath caught, and he closed the door.

The wind and rain were kept outside the door. Yuan Li stood in place for a while, lighting a candle and changing out of his damp clothes. Soon, the sound of thunder ceased. The thunderstorm transformed into a drizzle, still dripping with moisture.

Yuan Li sat at the table after changing clothes, lost in thought.

He was still pondering what had just happened.

Perhaps the darkness in the rockery was too damp and confusing, or perhaps Chu Hechao's emotions were too intense and overwhelming at the time, infecting Yuan Li and plunging him into turmoil. Now, Yuan Li had regained his composure and recalled what he and Chu Hechao had done.

He touched his lips, feeling a complex mix of emotions.

It seemed like traces of Chu Hechao's presence still lingered on his lips. The man's insatiable desire to consume him was intense, but the agony of restraining himself was equally real and intense. These conflicting and intricate emotions weighed on Yuan Li. Even now, it felt as if there was a stifled breath in his heart, making him uncomfortable.

Chu Hechao's attitude was clear: they had given in to their desires with all their might, and after leaving the cave, they return to being good partners, good brother-in-law and sister-in-law. They hadn't kissed, hadn't touched, adhering to the rules, and returning to the appearance of loyalty, filial piety, and righteousness.

Yuan Li was confused.

He was contemplating what kind of feelings he truly had for Chu Hechao.

Did he like him? Yuan Li didn't know. He was a heterosexual man and never thought he would develop feelings for another man. Even now, he could confidently say that he felt nothing for other men, but Chu Hechao's kisses stirred restlessness and pain within him.

But if he didn't like him, why did he submit to Chu Hechao?

Yuan Li himself didn't know.

The scene in the cave didn't evoke shame, regret, or disgust. Instead, it felt heavy, like a burden, as if something wanted to break free from the earth, but there were enormous stones blocking its way.

Yuan Li knew it was best to stop at this point.

Whether he liked Chu Hechao or not, it was best to stop here and not delve further.

Yuan Li even regretted why he had to expose Chu Hechao's feelings for him.

This would only bring Chu Hechao more pain.

But...

But Yuan Li was not the type of person to stop without thoroughly investigating.

He exhaled a sigh of relief and walked to the window, opening it.