chapter 113

"You didn't hear wrong," Chu Hechao also said lightly, "Before my mourning period ended, Le Jun and I were already married."

Yang Zhongfa had known about their relationship, but he was no less shocked than the others.

They were already married?!

Why didn't the general tell him earlier?

In the midst of his shock, he also felt a tinge of melancholy. He didn't know whether he should feel sad or happy. He was sad because the two of them were not able to come to a decisive resolution so easily, but he was relieved for the general at the same time.

Seeing Yuan Li's sincere and open expression, he felt more reassured that Yuan Li's desire to be with the general was even stronger than he had imagined.

This brought some comfort to his heart.

Liu Jixin reluctantly regained his senses and subconsciously tried to advise, "My lord, this..."

Yuan Li interrupted him, firmly stating, "My mind is made up."

Guo Mao took a deep breath.

His goal had always been to become Yuan Li's most intimate and favored adviser, and he was adept at reading people's intentions. Yuan Li's words had already shown his determination. Their lord was always stubborn, and once he made up his mind, no one could persuade him to change it.

Since it is so, it is better to follow their hearts and think about how to handle this matter for the Lord, and take the opportunity to express their loyalty.

Guo Mao pulled Liu Jixin's sleeve and whispered, "This is actually a good thing between the Lord and General."

Liu Jixin was taken aback. How could this be considered a good thing?

Guo Mao explained, "Haven't you always worried that one day there will be hidden conflicts and animosity between the Lord and the Great General? Now, with this situation, we can be more at ease in our hearts, and General's subordinates can also be more at ease. Being 'husband and wife' in one body, we don't need to be concerned about them anymore."

Liu Jixin furrowed his brow and began to ponder deeply. Like Guo Mao, he also understood Yuan Li's personality very well and knew that Yuan Li had made up his mind. Just like storing supplies after the snow disaster, he would never change his mind because of others' persuasion. Moreover, Yuanli had proven time and time again that he was always right.

After the snow disaster, the admiration from his subordinates for Yuan Li had reached its peak. They firmly believed that everything the Lord did must be right. If the Lord did something they couldn't understand, it must be because they hadn't fully grasped its meaning.

Liu Jixin calmed down and weighed the pros and cons of Yuanli being with Chu Hechao. The cons were evident, but there were also many advantages.

What Guo Mao said was just one aspect of it. Indeed, the relationship of being in-laws was not as reassuring as that of a real husband and wife. Most importantly... Liu Jixin firmly believed that Yuan Li was the one destined by fate, and Chu Hechao was a powerful individual. If Chu Hechao also had ambitious aspirations, their path would become much more difficult. However, with Chu Hechao's support, Yuan Li would be greatly strengthened, and success in their grand plans would be halfway achieved.

Looking at it this way, it was indeed a good thing...

Liu Jixin's eyes flickered with hesitation.

However, just accepting it like this felt a bit unwilling. Incest between in-laws was even more harmful to their lord, as Yuan Li had always been known as a virtuous and kind scholar. Chu Hechao, on the other hand, had a fearsome reputation, and if this matter were exposed, he would be in a better situation compared to their lord.