chapter 162

Upon seeing the letter, Lu He immediately started recruiting soldiers with great enthusiasm.

He knew that if Chu Hechao led the troops to attack the Xiongnu in early spring, he must be confident, especially with the assistance of the Wuwan people. It was evident that they intended to thoroughly defeat the Xiongnu. Since Lanzhou was often troubled by the barbarians, having the opportunity to share the credit and resolve the troubles with Chu Hechao was a chance that Lu He wouldn't miss.

He immediately recruited 30,000 cavalry and prepared to join Chu Hechao in the campaign.

This time, Chu Hechao's army had the largest number of cavalry, totaling 50,000. As he prepared to attack the Xiongnu, the entire Wen Principality, along with various government departments in Youzhou, operated in close coordination.

The news spread like wildfire, and supplies of food, weapons, clothing, soldiers, and laborers were all sent to the northern border. With a single command, countless personnel and resources converged from all directions, showcasing the strength of the empire.

On the second day of the second month of the seventh year of Zhou Yan, a total of 100,000 cavalry split into three parts and deeply penetrated the grassland, aiming to completely annihilate the main force of the Xiongnu.

After arriving on the grassland, Lu He learned that Chu Hechao actually possessed a map of the Xiongnu royal court. He was ecstatic and felt that his decision to follow Chu Hechao was correct.

With the map, their targets were clear. Chu Hechao went straight to the royal court, while Lu He and the Wuwan attacked the Zuo and Youxian Wangs' territories, igniting a fierce campaign of revenge and slaughter on the grassland.

After Chu Hechao and his army delved deep into the grassland, communication with the rear was cut off.

Yuan Li, far away in Ji Zhou, couldn't guess what was happening on the grassland. He knew rationally that this campaign was almost certain to succeed, but he still worried.

As he patiently waited for news from the grassland, he unexpectedly received news from Southern Chen Wang.

In the study:

"What?" Liu Jixin exclaimed in surprise, "Chen Wang has captured Yizhou and Yuzhou? Those are the territories of Qin Meng and Qin Pei."

Qin Meng and Qin Pei were members of the imperial family and the emperor's uncles.

The others were also shocked, and Guo Mao quickly asked, "May I ask, Master Zhao, when did Chen Wang capture these two provinces?"

The person standing in the center of the crowd was none other than Zhao Ying, who had just hurriedly come from Liangliao Institution. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and said, "In July of last year, Chen Wang sent troops to attack Yizhou and Yuzhou, claiming that Qin Meng and Qin Pei were disrespectful to the emperor and intended to secretly crown other descendants of the Qin family as the emperor. By the end of last year, they had completely captured these two provinces. The emperor ordered Qin Meng, Qin Pei, and their Qin family members to be demoted to commoners and imprisoned them."

"The emperor is confused," Zhan Shaoning sneered in his heart. As someone who hated the court, he found this situation quite enjoyable. "Killing their own people, there will no longer be any Qin surname governors in the world."

Yuan Li calmly said, "Even if the emperor is not confused, Chen Wang now holds these two provinces in his hand. Even if the emperor knew of Chen Wang's ambitions, he still had to do this to protect himself."

Everyone sighed.

The scent of tea wafted gently in the room. This was a high-quality tea sent from Bingzhou. It had a refreshing and pleasant fragrance that lifted the spirits. Although the atmosphere was heavy, the fragrance of the tea kept them from being too disheartened.