chapter 5

He has  a great figure.

Yuan Li's thoughts momentarily drifted with envy, but soon his attractive brows furrowed.

He keenly sensed Chu Hechao's suspicion towards him.

What exactly was Chu Hechao suspecting him of?

The moonlight was obscured by dark clouds, and the courtyard of the Wendao Courtyard fell into silence. The March night wasn't as cold as the end of winter, but the servant, observing Yuan Li's nose turning red from the wind, gently closed the door.

A creaking sound snapped Yuan Li back to reality.

Yuan Li couldn't figure out what connection he had with Chu Hechao. He was only eighteen this year, two years away from the age of adulthood. Even though he had discreetly done quite a few things in Ruyang County, it was far from reaching a point where it would arouse Chu Hechao's suspicion. Moreover, Chu Hechao had just returned to Luoyang. They hadn't even had a chance to develop any conflicts.

In terms of reputation, Yuan Li had an excellent reputation. In terms of reason, Yuan Li was willing to help with his terminally ill older brother's recovery. Even without emotions, Yuan Li was officially Chu Hechao's sister-in-law.

Yuan Li couldn't make sense of it all, but Chu Hechao's suspicions were not important at the moment. What mattered was the soap recipe in his mind.

When he thought of the soap recipe, Yuan Li became somewhat excited.

He said, "Lintian, close and lock the door."

Lintian quickly ran out, and soon the gates of the Wendao Courtyard were tightly shut.

In his bedroom, illuminated by lamplight, Yuan Li dismissed everyone else and quietly wrote down the soap recipe on a piece of paper. Once he finished writing, he set the paper on fire with the flame of the lamp.

The rewards given by the system were designed to be adaptable to the current era, with instructions for things that could be made in the present time. There were simple soap-making techniques as well as more complex ones for crafting scented soaps, each step detailed thoroughly.

Even the most ordinary soap in modern times would easily surpass the commonly used grass and soap nuts in this era.

The paper turned into black ash and fell onto the table. The candle flame burned brightly for a while before gradually weakening.

Yuan Li let out a sigh and blew out the candle, carrying a passionate heart as he laid down on the bed.

Scented soap with its fragrant aroma, pure whiteness, and delicate texture, when carved into exquisite shapes like plum, orchid, bamboo, and chrysanthemum, would undoubtedly find a place among the elegant scholars and noble families.

However, for the present Yuan Li, both soap and refined sugar were not things that could be easily produced.

The current state of affairs was too chaotic, and without security, it was akin to a child carrying gold through a bustling market.

The double-layered bed curtains woven with red silk gently swayed, and the sachets hanging from the corners of the bedframe exuded a pleasant fragrance.

Yuan Li had no sleepiness. He slapped a couple of mosquitoes and stared at the ceiling, lost in thought.

The best choice now was to cooperate with the Chu Wang Mansion.

He had already "married" into the Chu Wang Mansion, and that was an undeniable fact. Even if Chu Mingfeng were to die later, his relationship with the Chu Wang Mansion would not easily be severed.