chapter 143

Such an atmosphere was something Jia Qing had never experienced before.

Yet, once he found himself immersed in it, he felt an irresistible sense of comfort.

That night, as Jia Qing helped his drunken subordinates back, one of them slurred, "General, I feel that Youzhou is much more comfortable than Jizhou! Forget about Wu Shanshi, let's stay here and live comfortably."

In his inebriated state, the subordinate continued, "General, I really don't want you to experience imprisonment again."

Jia Qing sighed.

The subordinate's speech became more emotional, "General, I asked General Yuan Li's men, and they also keep their families safe in the rear, protected by Governor Yuan... But their families live so comfortably, receiving both rice and meat. Look at the delicious food we had tonight. I've never eaten such delicious food before. If our families could live in peace and enjoy such meals, even if they were under Governor Yuan Li's control, it would still be better than in Jizhou!"

Jia Qing patted the subordinate's back, saying, "Quiet now. I know you fear that I might face trouble again or hesitate to abandon our former lord. But since I decided to escape from prison, I won't look back."

The subordinate replied, "Then we can rest assured..."

Supporting his snoring subordinate with closed eyes, Jia Qing looked at the lanterns hung on both sides of the road. The cold wind blew, clearing his mind and revitalizing his spirit.

This was Youzhou.

He stood still for a moment, even though the darkness concealed much of the scenery, Jia Qing couldn't bear to leave; he was captivated by the sight. It was only when the subordinate sneezed that Jia Qing was startled back to reality and hurriedly left.

Meanwhile, Yuan Li was discussing Jia Qing with Chu Hechao.

The two of them were nestled in bed, speaking in hushed tones.

Yuan Li asked, "What do you think of him?"

Chu Hechao gave Jia Qing a high evaluation, saying, "With him, Wu Shanshi still has a chance to contend with me. But without Jia Qing, I can take control of Jizhou within a month."

Upon hearing this, Yuan Li chuckled, "Not bad, not bad. I've gained another formidable general under my command."

Chu Hechao pulled him closer, snickering, "Am I formidable?"

Yuan Li sighed, "Your skin is thicker than the city wall."

Chu Hechao smirked, "Just ask anyone outside, and they'll tell you I'm the fiercest general."

Yuan Li suddenly realized, "So you've been eavesdropping on people praising you as a fierce general."

Chu Hechao's face flushed slightly, "..."

Yuan Li burst into laughter and tugged Chu Hechao's hand, "Brother, how did you get those burns on your hand? Are you willing to tell me now?"

He lowered his head, gently caressing the burns on Chu Hechao's hand.

What kind of reason could leave such severe scars on Chu Hechao's hand?

Chu Hechao hesitated, his lips tightly pressed, and he fell silent.

Yuan Li looked up at him, saying, "It's okay if you don't want to say."

Chu Hechao shook his head.

He reached back to hold Yuan Li's hand, calmly saying, "Yang Zhongfa had two sons; they used to be my junior officers."