chapter 109

A person cannot be tense all the time. During the Lunar New Year, Yuan Li kindly granted his subordinates a holiday.

Yuan Song is now the head of the Yuan clan. When he and Lady Chen escaped to Youzhou, they brought the Yuan clan members with them. After arriving in Youzhou, the Yuan clan members worked as managers at the farm and gathered at the Yuan mansion during the New Year.

As Yuan Lou was away, unable to come back to celebrate with them, Yuan Dan naturally came to the Yuan mansion for the New Year.

Both his parents had come to Youzhou, and Yuan Li and Chu Hechao were also staying at the Yuan mansion during the New Year. They had to behave properly in front of Yuan Li's parents, speaking carefully and refraining from any risky behavior like sleeping together at night.

Yuan Li felt a bit uncomfortable sleeping alone.

On the thirtieth night, they had a sumptuous feast, and everyone wore smiles.

During the after-dinner chat, Lady Chen wanted to talk about Yuan Li's marriage, but considering that Chu Hechao hadn't finished his mourning period yet, she refrained from mentioning it. Instead, she asked Yuan Dan with concern, "Your elder brother is married, and you are still single. Your mother passed away early, and your father doesn't think about these matters. As your elder, I naturally have to inquire about your marriage. Yuan Dan, do you have any girl in mind? If not, starting tomorrow, I'll find some girls for you to meet."

Yuan Dan blushed and shook his head, feeling embarrassed.

Everyone smiled kindly, and Lady Chen playfully teased him, "So, you don't have a girl in mind, or you don't want me to find girls for you?"

Yuan Dan stammered, "I... I don't have a girl in mind."

Yuan Li found it amusing to see Yuan Dan like this, while Chu Hechao seemed deep in thought.

"What are you thinking about?" Yuan Li asked.

Chu Hechao habitually reached out to hug him, but halfway through, he let go and lowered his voice, "My three younger sisters are still unmarried. I don't care about these things, but you should tell your mother and ask her to help find a good husband for them."

Yuan Li nodded, "Okay. I'll have my mother find good husbands for them."

After pondering for a moment, Chu Hechao suddenly asked, "What if one of them marries Yuan Dan?"

Yuan Li was taken aback, not expecting Chu Hechao to have this idea. But after careful consideration, he thought it was a good idea.

Chu Hechao's three younger sisters were all noble and graceful young ladies from prominent families. They were raised well by Lady Yang and had been quiet and well-behaved since arriving in Youzhou, never causing trouble in front of Yuan Li and Chu Hechao. They excelled in appearance, talent, and everything else.

Yuan Li believed that these three girls were worthy of marrying into the family of kings and nobles. However, the Yuan family was of modest status, and it wouldn't be fair to marry these noble girls into such a small household.

But on second thought, it wasn't necessarily true.

In the current turbulent times, even nobles might lose their status at any time. Identity was not as important as a stable life.

Yuan Dan was Yuan Li's cousin, just a few years younger than him. Putting aside everything else, Yuan Li had observed Yuan Dan's character since they were young, and he was a good person, ambitious, and attentive. Though their family was not wealthy, their family traditions were strictly upheld by the clan's elder. Yuan Lou only had one wife and treated his children with love. His wife had a gentle temperament and would not be difficult for her as sisters-in-law.