chapter 29

To be honest, if it weren't for Zhan Shaoning calling out to him, Yuan Li wouldn't have recognized him as Zhan Shaoning.

The group of people all had dusty and dirty faces, and their war horses were covered in grime and mud. Everyone looked exhausted, including Zhan Shaoning, who had visibly lost a lot of weight.

Yuan Li couldn't believe his eyes. How could he see Zhan Shaoning in Youzhou?

Zhan Shaoning rushed all the way to the gates of Chu Wang's residence, and before his horse even came to a stop, he slid down from it. His heart was filled with tremendous excitement, almost bringing him to tears at the sight of his old friend. But as soon as he took a step forward, Zhan Shaoning halted, becoming uneasy.

Yuan Li was dressed in luxurious attire, while Zhan Shaoning looked like a beggar. This made Zhan Shaoning hesitate to approach any further.

He didn't know how Yuan Li would treat him.

"Yuan Li..." Zhan Shaoning looked anxious, tightly gripping the reins as if ready to escape on his horse at any moment. He had disheveled hair, a scruffy beard, and his clothes were full of rips. The look in his eyes held a mixture of pleading, hope, and guarded caution.

Xiao Ce, the strategist behind him, closely watched Yuan Li's every move, discreetly clutching the large blade at his waist.

Seeing Zhan Shaoning in such a timid state, Yuan Li felt a pang in his heart. He broke into a smile, quickly walked up to Zhan Shaoning, opened his arms, and embraced him tightly. "Shaoning, it's been so long. I've been worried sick about you!"

Zhan Shaoning had an unpleasant odor about him, almost nauseating in the scorching weather. But Yuan Li showed no sign of disgust. He held Zhan Shaoning tightly, patting his back a few times with force.

Zhan Shaoning coughed a few times from being patted on the back, but his heart instantly settled. He sniffed and the grievances and hardships he had endured along the way almost instantly welled up in his eyes. "Yuan Li... I, I want to seek refuge with you. Are you willing to take me in?"

"Why even ask?" Yuan Li released Zhan Shaoning, his bright eyes filled with a smile, showing no signs of rejection or neglect. He still held him intimately, just like before, as he pulled him towards the mansion. "Bring people to properly settle Shaoning's subordinates, provide good fodder for the horses, and let everyone rest and recover. No need to be restrained here in my presence!"

Saying that, he turned back to look at Zhan Shaoning with a playful wink and teased, "Shaoning, in order to get the sand table you wanted from me, you've gone through countless hardships and even rushed thousands of miles to catch up to me."

Zhan Shaoning choked up, knowing that Yuan Li was saving face for him. Such kindness had been rare on their journey. Its scarcity almost made Zhan Shaoning lose control of his emotions at this moment. He took a moment to compose himself before replying hoarsely, "Of course. For the sake of that sand table of yours, even if you had fled to Xianbei beyond the borders, I would have pursued you."

Yuan Li burst into laughter, and the two young men walked briskly side by side, gradually moving away.

Behind them, Liu Jixin, who had been standing near the mansion gate for quite some time, walked up to Xiao Ce with a smile, "Li Mou, it's been a while since we last met."

Xiao Ce hadn't expected to encounter Liu Jixin here, feeling slightly surprised. He nodded politely to Liu Jixin, "Chang Yue, I never expected to see you here. So, you left our lord's side to follow the new master to Youzhou."

Liu Jixin chuckled twice, "When I followed our lord, he hadn't arrived in Youzhou yet. It's quite an unexpected fate to meet you here in Youzhou."

Xiao Ce was amazed. Had Liu Jixin actually found a new lord to serve?