chapter 86

After seeing the sugarcane, Yuan Li's joy was evident. He took the sugarcane directly for himself, while the remaining merchants were handed over to Guo Mao to deal with.

He instructed Guo Mao to delay these merchants for a while before they left, taking advantage of this time to make sugar.

Making refined sugar was easier and more profitable than making soap, and it could provide a sustained source of income. While soap was a novelty and delicacy, without soap there were still soap nuts and bath beans. However, sugar was an important trading commodity. Whether in times of war or peace, its price was always higher than that of salt. It was something that only the wealthy and nobles could afford to consume.

Families with money to buy sugar would definitely be willing to spend money on it. This was especially true for the wealthy merchants from the southern regions. Yuan Li remembered that the reason why the cuisine in places like Suzhou, Wuxi, and Yangzhou was known for its sweetness was because the local wealthy families used sugar as a display of their wealth. They liked to add sugar to their dishes to showcase their financial status. Over time, this developed into a local taste.

With money-making opportunities right in front of him, how could Yuan Li let them slip away?

He had the sugarcane brought to the well-prepared sugar workshop. He took out the recipe that the system had given him and began the process of refining refined sugar.

To make refined sugar, he first needed to make cane sugar.

The most challenging step in making cane sugar was extracting the juice. After pressing the juice from the sugarcane stalks and simmering it on low heat, it would turn into syrup. Pouring the syrup into molds and letting it cool would result in cane sugar. Making cane sugar was not difficult, and Yuan Li knew the principles and steps without the system's guidance. The difficult part was how to transform the reddish-colored cane sugar into granulated, sparkling white refined sugar.

Yuan Li spent two days in the sugar workshop, and his whole body was filled with a sweet aroma.

In the evening, when he went on a date with his boyfriend, Chu Hechao tasted a mouthful of sweetness when he kissed Yuan Li's neck.

"Haven't taken a bath?" Chu Hechao took another sip and commented, "So sweet."

Yuan Li's neck was sweaty, and Chu Hechao left several shallow marks while teasing him. The surroundings fell silent, and a warm breeze passed by as Chu Hechao continued to lower his head.

Feeling itchy all over from the kisses, Yuan Li's eyelids twitched as he looked down. "What are you doing?"

Chu Hechao shamelessly said, "Relieving the itch from your mosquito bites."

Yuan Li was caught off guard. "What mosquito bites?"

Chu Hechao touched them and smiled mischievously. "These are mosquito bites. They are really venomous. Look at how they swelled into two big bumps. I feel sorry for you."

Yuan Li: "..."

With Chu Hechao tending to the "mosquito bites" and relieving the itch on one side, then going to the other side, there were audible smacking sounds. Employing poison against poison, Yuan Li blushed with embarrassment.

While feeling embarrassed, Yuan Li also had worries in his heart.

If Chu Hechao's desires were so strong, what would happen if they really took it to the next level?

Yuan Li glanced at Chu Hechao's pants.

Just looking at them made him feel scared and uncertain.

Yuan Li was very concerned. He already felt the weight when he used his hand, and after their last intimate encounter, his throat had been sore for a whole day. It was not an exaggeration to say that Yuan Li was a bit hesitant because it was too extreme.