chapter 33

As a ruthless general, Chu Hechao had always appeared invincible and capable of overcoming any challenge.

He had been lucky, narrowly escaping death on multiple occasions. His personality had always been dominant, leaving a strong and courageous impression on his subordinates. Chu Hechao himself believed that as a man, he didn't need to talk about pain and injuries with others; he could handle it on his own. However, the moment those words slipped out, he instantly regretted it. He felt both agitated and embarrassed, his face turning red. He wished he could take back what he had just said.

Hearing this, Yuan Li still had his back turned to Chu Hechao. His voice was barely audible, blending with the sound of flowing water, "General, I thought you said it doesn't hurt."

Chu Hechao's temples throbbed.

The veins on his arm bulged out, and he seemed ready to leave. But in the end, he forcibly restrained himself, gritting his teeth and admitting, "I lied."

Only then did Yuan Li stand up, turned around to face him, and looked at Chu Hechao for a long while.

Although the tent was not exposed to direct sunlight, it was still uncomfortably hot and humid. Sweat clung to Yuan Li's hair and forehead, and his face had a faint flush from the heat. Comparing his fair complexion to Chu Hechao's bold and heroic appearance, they were like a small deer facing a fierce tiger. However, the fierce tiger looked stiff under scrutiny and dared not make a sound.

Yuan Li gradually smiled and said, "That's more like it. General, don't shy away from seeking medical treatment."

Seeing his smiling face, Chu Hechao's fingers, which had been tapping his thigh incessantly, relaxed. He repeatedly reminded himself that Yuan Li was his provider of food and shelter and that he couldn't offend him.

The one who provides rations is like a father, more or less.

After repeating this mantra a few times, his mind calmed down. Chu Hechao turned around and allowed Yuan Li to continue examining his back.

Yuan Li approached and whispered behind Chu Hechao, "Technically, I don't have the authority to interfere with the General, but we must not underestimate the severity of the injury. If a minor injury turns into a major one, the General might regret it. Besides, this injury was suffered on my behalf, and I consider myself as part of the General's family so, I kindly ask the General to cooperate with me."

Saying that, Yuan Li began to apply pressure to the muscles on Chu Hechao's back.

His hands had been soaked in cold water for a while, chilling them like ice cubes. As soon as they touched Chu Hechao's body, his muscles instantly tightened.

After a complete examination, Yuan Li relaxed.

Fortunately, there were no injuries to the bones or vital organs, just some subcutaneous bruising. The bruises were already turning purplish, and they would likely look even more shocking by tomorrow.

"Tomorrow, General can seek a physician to massage the bruises," Yuan Li washed his hands and instructed the soldiers outside to bring a new set of clothes for Chu Hechao. "If the physician's strength is not enough, the General can come to me."

Chu Hechao stood up, loosening his shoulders and neck, his tall figure emanating a strong presence. He chuckled upon hearing Yuan Li's words, "It seems like your strength isn't that great either."

Yuan Li didn't catch it clearly. He turned his head, looking puzzled at Chu Hechao, "What?"

Chu Hechao remained composed, "I mean, thank you, sister-in-law."