chapter 107

In the evening, after freshening up, the two of them arrived at the Yuan Mansion. Seeing Chu Hechao also present, the expressions of those seated at the table subtly changed, as they hadn't expected his presence.

It was a family banquet, and besides Yuan Li, his two younger brothers and several concubines were also in attendance. Unaware of Chu Hechao joining, they abandoned some of the formalities and sat together informally.

Yuan Song reacted swiftly, saying, "Quick, bring the folding screen to shield us!"

He then apologized to Chu Hechao, "Our family is not very strict with formalities. I hope you'll pardon us, General."

Chu Hechao squinted his eyes and quickly scanned the dining hall, "It's fine. It's just a family banquet, no need for so many rules."

Yuan Song smiled and invited him to take a seat.

Once everyone was seated, Yuan Li inquired with a smile about his parents' health.

Behind the folding screen, Lady Chen replied with a smile, "They are very well. Your father has been full of energy these past few months."

Her words sparked a conversation, lightening the atmosphere. Yuan Song then had his son pour wine for Yuan Li and Chu Hechao. As the brothers were pouring wine, a concubine's voice from behind the screen sounded in a flattering tone, "Eldest Young Master, I heard that you are looking for someone to serve as the county magistrate in Bingzhou. Yuan Lou has already been sent there by you, but your other two younger brothers still haven't found suitable positions! The fertile water should be channeled to our own fields, why do you need to look for outsiders?"

Another concubine quickly chimed in, "Exactly! You're already the governor, so support your brothers as well."

There was a subtle undertone of complaint in their voices.

Yuan Li's smile slowly faded, and Chu Hechao's expression turned cold.

The momentary ease in the atmosphere dissipated. Yuan Song's face displayed a mix of embarrassment and anger. His two brothers, however, were watching Yuan Li with eager anticipation, clearly revealing their ambitions.

"What nonsense are you both spouting!" Yuan Song put down his chopsticks and reprimanded them, "Shut up at once!"

The two concubines looked aggrieved, "Master..."

Such an incident would never happen in prestigious families. If it were only Yuan Li, that would be one thing, but with Chu Hechao here, Yuan Song felt his dignity slipping away.

Behind the screen, Lady Chen also coldly chuckled without saying a word.

No wonder this group of people was so attentive and gathered in the dining hall. It turned out to be for this occasion. Did they really think that Bingzhou was a one-man show for her son? Even in the presence of General Chu, they dared to request favors for their useless sons. It was not only embarrassing but also might arouse suspicion from Chu Hechao towards her son, which Lady Chen could not tolerate.

"Lady Liu, Lady Yue," Lady Chen said in a calm tone, "Didn't you hear what Master said?"

The two concubines, intimidated by Lady Chen's authority, closed their mouths reluctantly.

Yuan Li still remained silent and quietly picked up his cup to drink water.

The two younger brothers exchanged glances and couldn't resist the temptation of becoming the county magistrate. They didn't even know how to be subtle and directly said, "Elder Brother, if you could use Yuan Lou and Yuan Dan, why can't you use us?"