chapter 131

Chu Hechao's physical condition was much stronger than that of an average person. Fortunately, the rain did not cause his wound to become infected, and a few days later, the wound began to itch.

Itching meant that the injury was healing, and Yuan Li also breathed a sigh of relief.

During Chu Hechao's recovery period, Yuan Li didn't forget to attend to official matters. He was constantly finding ways to openly provoke Chen Wang. Besides that, Yuan Li visited the Emperor in the palace every day, and in just a few days, he had won the Emperor's favor.

This undoubtedly sent a message to Chen Wang: Yuan Li also wanted to take the Emperor back to Youzhou, but the Emperor had not agreed yet.

Though the Emperor hadn't agreed, it was difficult to say that he wouldn't be swayed by Yuan Li in the long run. Chen Wang didn't want to drag this situation out, but in order to take the Emperor away, he needed Yuan Li and Chu Hechao to let them pass.

However, the momentum of the Youzhou soldiers stationed in Luoyang indicated that they had no intention of leaving.

Other vassals, like Lu He, were already in dire need of food supplies and had asked the Emperor for rewards in advance before leaving.

Chen Wang felt that it wasn't going well.

If the eighty thousand Youzhou soldiers blocked their way in Luoyang and didn't let them take the Emperor back to Yangzhou, the situation would only lead to a deadlock, with both sides suffering. Furthermore, Yuan Li's increasingly provocative behavior made Chen Wang frown.

When he heard that Chu Hechao had come to the capital, Chen Wang suddenly understood.

No wonder Yuan Le Jun had become increasingly audacious; it turned out that Chu Hechao's return had given him confidence. After some consideration, Chen Wang sent people to invite Chu Hechao and Yuan Li to a banquet at his residence.

Chen Wang saw through it all.

Wu Shanshi had gone mad and accepted Li Li's bribes. He was no longer a threat, and the only ones who could oppose Chen Wang here were Chu Hechao and Yuan Li. Chen Wang's only advantage was the Emperor's favor. Instead of dragging it out until both sides suffered, or the Emperor was misled by Yuan Li into changing his mind, it was better to make a decisive move and negotiate with Youzhou early on. He could offer some wealth and food supplies, allowing Yuan Li and Chu Hechao to take a step back.

Chen Wang believed that Yuan Li and Chu Hechao were not foolish people. He understood that Yuan Li's recent pressure might have led him to consider extracting some benefits from Chen Wang. The thought of making Chen Wang suffer some losses had likely crossed his mind.

After receiving the message from Chen Wang's envoy, Yuan Li raised his eyebrows and said calmly, "Luoyang is currently under construction, and the common people are living in hardship, unable to eat their fill. Does Chen Wang have the leisure to host guests at this time? Even if he wants to host a banquet, we are not interested in joining. If there is anything Chen Wang wants to discuss, let's just be direct."

Chen Wang's attendant had a bad feeling from the moment Yuan Li spoke the first sentence. After Yuan Li finished speaking, he wiped the sweat from his forehead and returned to inform Chen Wang with a bitter expression.

Chen Wang laughed heartily upon hearing it. "Exactly. Yuan Le Jun is obviously hinting that I should offer some wealth and goods."

Chen Xi didn't understand and asked, "How did Father figure that out?"

"He displayed an attitude as if we were in a bitter feud before, but now that I mentioned the banquet, he immediately talks about food and provisions. Not only did he not chase away my people, he even says, 'Let's just be direct'," Chen Wang stroked his beard and said, "This is another way of telling me that there's no need for a banquet. If I want to take the Emperor away, I just need to give them enough to make way for us."