chapter 102

Xin Zhou asked, "General?"

Chu Hechao replied, "Nothing."

He put down his hand from his forehead where he had been rubbing it, and the handsome expression on his face cooled down, becoming stern and resolute.

Outside the city gate, Yuan Li watched the figures of the army gradually move away until they disappeared completely. In his heart, he repeated the words "return safely" several times before composing his emotions and leading his men back.

Yuan Li naturally noticed Chu Hechao's reluctance, which was not deeply hidden but rather intense, carrying a tinge of bitterness that made him feel uneasy as well. When Chu Hechao briefly embraced him, Yuan Li even clearly heard the man's heartbeats.

Yuan Li was worried. What should he do about this?

Since Chu Hechao lost his parents, he became overly reliant on Yuan Li, as if Yuan Li were his second life. Now, having to be away for only a few months, he reacted like this. If he were to go to a farther place for battle, should he tie Yuan Li to his belt?

Yuan Li wanted to sigh, but then he remembered how Chu Hechao always scolded him with a stern face whenever he sighed, so he held back the sigh.

Yang Zhongfa was left behind in Ji County by Chu Hechao, both to protect the safety of Ji County and because Yang Zhongfa was already old. Although he was still valiant and skilled in warfare, he was aging, and Chu Hechao feared that something might happen to him in the icy plains of Bingzhou.

Yang Zhongfa understood the meaning behind this decision. He wasn't upset, happily following Yuan Li and saying, "General, you've spent one year after another like this, celebrating your birthdays amidst turmoil and war. It's the same this year."

Yuan Li was taken aback and quickly asked, "When is the general's birthday?"

"January 4th."

That time had already passed, and Yuan Li said absentmindedly, "He never told me."

"Whether he said it or not, a man who has lost his father cannot indulge in merrymaking on his birthday. I just happened to remember it," Yang Zhongfa hurriedly advised, "Master Yuan, you must be happy and not be sad. Before the general left, he instructed me not to let you feel sad."

Upon hearing this, Yang Zhongfa found it strange himself. He joked, "If I didn't know how much the general cherishes family, that he wouldn't snatch his brother's wife, I might have thought that he considers you as..."

He stopped abruptly, awkwardly patting his own mouth. "I've said the wrong thing again."

Yuan Li's heart tensed for a moment, but he pretended not to hear and smiled calmly, changing the topic, "When the general is fighting for Bingzhou, can I send a message to him?"

"After taking Taiyuan Jinyang as a stronghold, the general will naturally be able to receive messages from you, sir."

"I understand," Yuan Li nodded. "I know what to do."

Last year, during that time of the year, he was immersed in mourning for the passing of his clan's patriarch, and this year, he was caught up in the snow disaster and the attack on Bingzhou, making everything chaotic. But now that he knew about Chu Hechao's birthday, he couldn't just ignore it.

Even though Chu Wang and the Madam had just passed away and Chu Hechao probably wouldn't celebrate his birthday, Yuan Li wanted to bring some joy to him. Chu Hechao held a grudge in his heart against the matter of Yuan Li and Chu Mingfeng being "mutually in love." Whenever Yuan Li tried to explain, mentioning Chu Mingfeng's name would enrage Chu Hechao. Now that Chu Hechao was far away in Bingzhou, it was appropriate to write him a letter and let him know the cause and effect of the situation, which would hopefully make him happy. It could be considered a birthday gift from Yuan Li to Chu Hechao.