chapter 67

The Wuwan people were relocated within Youzhou and were to be supervised by the Governor of Youzhou. Previously, when there was no Governor in Youzhou, they were under the supervision of Chu Hechao. Now that there was an Governor in Youzhou, according to the rules, these Wuwan chiefs should come and pay their respects to the Governor and greet Yuan Li.

Yuan Li knew about the strained relationship between Chu Hechao and the Wuwan people. Considering the provocative and boastful tone of the letter, Yuan Li didn't need to think much to understand that these Wuwan people had ill intentions. Perhaps they wanted to establish their dominance over the newly appointed Governor.

But it just so happened that Yuan Li had the same idea. As a newly appointed official, he also wanted to establish his authority by making an example.

Isn't this a perfect coincidence?

Gulichi, what a warm-hearted person!

Yuan Li leisurely had someone open the bag of salt. As expected, it contained the mixture of fine salt and coarse salt that he had instructed Zhang Mi to sell to the Wuwan people in a one-to-one ratio.

He became even more delighted. "Gulichi is truly considerate."

He liked this type of grudge.

He called for Zhang Mi, who arrived and saw the large bag of salt. The more he looked at it, the more familiar it seemed. "Lord, what is this?"

"It's the salt Gulichi sent to me," Yuan Li couldn't help but chuckle. "Take a look. How much can you get in exchange for this salt from them?"

Zhang Mi examined it and said, "This bag of salt can fetch at least three horses."

Yuan Li raised an eyebrow. "A high price, huh?"

He immediately had the salt collected and asked Zhang Mi to take it away, planning to sell it to the Wuwan people again.

Zhang Mi couldn't believe that Gulichi would send back the salt he had bought from him directly to the Lord. He found it both funny and exasperating. After a good laugh, he began discussing official matters with Yuan Li. "Lord, I'm here not only to congratulate you on your coronation but also to report an important matter."

Yuan Li asked, "What is it?"

Zhang Mi carefully explained the matter.

It turned out that while doing business with the Wuwan people on their territory, Zhang Mi discovered many Youzhou civilians who were being treated as slaves. Many of these people pleaded for his help and wanted Zhang Mi to take them away. When conducting business with the Wuwan people, Zhang Mi not only exchanged horses but also exchanged some individuals.

Most of these civilians were ordinary people and prisoners captured by the Wuwan people during the chaos caused by the White Rice Gang in Youzhou. They had suffered greatly under the Wuwan people's torment, who claimed to be "eliminating disasters for the country."

When discussing this matter, Zhang Mi carefully watched Yuan Li's expression.

When it came to exchanging goods for people, Zhang Mi hesitated and didn't know if he should do it. In the past, he would never have had such sympathy or spare money to care about these slaves. However, he knew that when Yuan Li previously sold salt to Dadan, he exchanged it for many White Rice Gang prisoners. Zhang Mi speculated that Yuan Li would want him to do the same. In the end, Zhang Mi gritted his teeth and exchanged some people to bring back.

But he was still worried that Yuan Li would think he had taken matters into his own hands. Therefore, the goods used to acquire these slaves were not the fine salt given by Yuan Li but Zhang Mi's own possessions. If Yuan Li was unhappy, Zhang Mi could explain and minimize the loss, avoiding Yuan Li's displeasure.