chapter 137

Chu Hechao trained them in the martial arts field for a whole day and then took them to the military camp for the next two days. On the third evening, he finally allowed them to return.

Yuan Li was waiting for them in the dining hall, and as soon as he saw Chu Hechao return, he asked, "How did it go?"

Chu Hechao wiped off the sweat, sat down beside Yuan Li, and drank a glass of water in one gulp. He succinctly replied, "Both of them are good."

He paused and added, "Especially the slender one, he's a promising talent."

Yuan Li pondered, "You mean Gu Yue?"

Chu Hechao nodded, "Yes, he's the one. If his background were a bit better, he might already be a notable general by now. He possesses the qualities of a renowned general and can handle responsibilities."

Chu Hechao rarely praised people, so when he did, Yuan Li knew that both Gu Yue and Kong Ran were suitable to be sent to the Bohai Sea to train the navy.

Gu Yue could be promoted to the rank of Navy Captain and become the commander of the navy, while Kong Ran would be his deputy. The two were also from the same hometown, and working together would undoubtedly enhance their efficiency.

While Yuan Li thought along these lines, he didn't immediately inform the two men of their promotions.

Being promoted to such high positions in one step, Yuan Li worried that they might become arrogant or that the soldiers wouldn't respect them. It was better to see what results they could achieve first before giving them the corresponding rewards.

On the second day, Gu Yue and Kong Ran received their task to go to the Bohai Sea to train the navy.

The navy they were to train consisted of a whopping 50,000 men.

Gu Yue and Kong Ran almost thought they misheard.

However, seeing Yuan Li's confident expression, they realized that the opportunity was indeed real, and their excitement and joy surged.

They knew it was a chance, but they had never expected it to be such a tremendous opportunity!

Fifty thousand men... That was an enormous responsibility!

Their shoulders felt the weight of this task, leaving them somewhat hesitant.

But beside Kong Ran, Gu Yue showed no hesitation. He performed a deep bow to Yuan Li, his eyes determined and powerful, as he said firmly, "I will not disappoint Lord Yuan's trust."

Kong Ran looked at Gu Yue in astonishment, not understanding where his confidence came from. But looking at Gu Yue's expression, full of determination even if it meant facing death, he was moved. Taking a deep breath, Kong Ran also knelt down, echoing, "I, too, will do the same."

Yuan Li praised them, helping them to their feet, "Prepare as quickly as possible. You'll depart within two days. I need you to go to the Bohai Sea beforehand to prepare. The fifty thousand navy troops will arrive at the Bohai Sea within two months."

After speaking, Yuan Li handed them a letter and gazed at the two, saying, "Remember to use the methods mentioned in this letter to train the navy."

Both of them respectfully saluted and immediately left. The next day, they couldn't wait any longer and departed from Jixian.

By the end of the month, the 50,000 elite naval troops from Youzhou, skilled in water warfare, had been selected and quietly made their way to the Bohai Sea.

A few days later, Zhou Gongdan sent a letter through the Liangliao Institution.

The letter mentioned that Wei Ji had died, and Mitai had escaped. Almost 80% of the discerning people in Jizhou had abandoned Wu Shanshi and left Jizhou. Now, Zhou Gongdan has become Wu Shanshi's most trusted adviser.