chapter 89

An hour passed in an instant, and the soldiers who ran to the foot of the mountain gradually increased. As soon as they reached the ground, most of them didn't even have time to take off their backpacks and directly laid on the ground to catch their breath and calm their hot and rapid breathing.

They would have a quarter of an hour to rest, take care of their physiological needs, or eat some dry rations to replenish their strength.

Three hundred soldiers made it to the foot of the mountain within the hour. Thirteen of them had reached their physical limits, lying on the ground unable to get up, and could only raise their hands to surrender from further competition.

Kong Ran was still holding on.

He gritted his teeth and sat up from the ground, forcefully eating some dry rations and drinking water, pounding his legs to recover his strength as quickly as possible. He looked around and saw another soldier from the same village, Gu Yue, sitting nearby and resting.

Gu Yue was a somewhat reclusive person, and Kong Ran wasn't familiar with him. Kong Ran didn't expect that he would also be here and still persisting. After all, Gu Yue looked much weaker compared to them.

Compared to Kong Ran, who still had some energy left, Gu Yue looked like he was about to collapse, but he stubbornly held on and didn't give up.

Kong Ran knew why he would persist until now, and the reason would be the same as his own.

The goal for those who had made it this far was no longer the gold but to gain the favor of the governor.

This was a rare opportunity that had been presented to them. How could they be willing to give up?

After a quarter of an hour passed, the remaining soldiers all stood up, shouldered their backpacks, and entered the mountain.

Watching their figures disappearing deep into the forest and mountain paths, Yuan Li briefly explained to the others, "I have taught them in the barracks how to navigate in dense forests, distinguish the directions, and avoid snakes, swamps, and miasma. This test is to see if they have remembered this knowledge. Rest assured, a few days ago, I sent people into the mountain to drive away any threatening wild beasts. They won't encounter any ferocious beasts like black bears."

"Not only that, I also sent a hundred soldiers dressed in black to enter the mountains and pose as their enemies. Each black-clad soldier will have a red cloth strip tied to them. If the soldiers want to win, it's not enough to just come down the mountain, they also have to ambush and take away the red cloth strip from one of the black-clad soldiers before descending the mountain. Only then can they pass this test."

After they understood his words, Yuan Li continued, "These one hundred black-clad soldiers are equipped with many herbs and whistles. Although they are disguised as enemies, they also have the responsibility to protect. If the soldiers are really in danger, the black-clad soldiers will blow the whistle, and nearby soldiers and medics will come to their rescue."

Yuan Li had considered every aspect carefully and left no room for oversight. The people around couldn't help but sigh and once again feel Yuan Li's care for the soldiers.

He not only allowed them to train but also ensured their safety in every aspect.

In their eyes, such thoughtfulness was truly rare.

The several military commanders present hadn't considered it as comprehensively as Yuan Li had.

Chu Hechao, who had been absent-minded, looked at the last soldier disappearing into the jungle and suddenly said, "This approach is excellent."