chapter 110

Yuan Li thought this idea was brilliant.

Youzhou had a unique geographical advantage, with mostly flat plains and large rivers such as the Juma and Sanggan. It was suitable for both agriculture and animal husbandry, making it a potential northern commercial center.

Currently, there were already scattered small markets in Youzhou, but they lacked completeness and regularity. The more prosperous markets were mainly located in the Central Plains, particularly in Luoyang and the southern regions along the great rivers.

The Northern Zhou dynasty emphasized agriculture while suppressing commerce. This was especially true for its founder, Emperor Taizu, who had been humiliated by merchants before he rose to power, making him detest the existence of markets. Even the relatively thriving markets were chaotic, and the merchandise offered was not comprehensive.

Ouyang Ting mentioned in the letter that these Confucian scholars and literati would arrive in May. Yuan Li couldn't wait until they were almost there to start organizing the market; it would be too late by then.

He needed to start organizing the market now, finalize the specific dates, and make the people familiarize themselves with it. For example, holding a small market every three days and a big market every ten days, with the small market lasting one day and the big market lasting three days. Once the market became stable, the reputation of the "Jixian Market" would spread.

At the beginning, only local merchants from Jixian would come to set up stalls, but as time passed, merchants from surrounding counties and regions would hear the news and rush to set up stalls as well. The people would wait specifically for the market days to come and trade.

As the market grew more prosperous and larger, Yuan Li wouldn't have to do much, as the merchants would come to Jixian on their own with goods to sell before the market even began.

Setting the big market every ten days was to give these merchants enough time to travel to Jixian.

After writing down these thoughts on paper, Yuan Li pondered further.

But a typical market might not be enough; could he add some unique features to it?

Although the trade market in Youzhou wasn't very prosperous, it did have some special types of markets.

One was the Guanshi, a market for trade with the Xiongnu. Another was the Hushi, a market for trade with the Xianbei. There was also the Junshi, a small market near the northern military camps, selling goods mainly for soldiers' use.

Nowadays, Guanshi and Hushi were closed, but the Junshi was still operational. These three types of markets were novelties that southern people had never seen before. Yuan Li didn't plan to abandon them; instead, he intended to extend and modify these three types of markets, making them specialized markets unique to Youzhou.

Guanshi probably had no hope of reopening, especially since the Xiongnu leader was killed by Chu Hechao...

But the Hushi, which traded with the Xianbei, must not be let go. The Xianbei were now afraid of Chu Hechao due to the death of Huyan Zhuzhi. Yuan Li believed that with a little coercion and persuasion toward the Xianbei, reopening the Hushi market would be relatively easy.

Thinking of this, Yuan Li excitedly went to find Chu Hechao.

He handed Chu Hechao the "proposal" he had written and asked if they could reopen the market with the Xianbei.

Chu Hechao, looking at the thick stack of paper, and got a headache. He pulled Yuan Li into his arms and coaxed, "Just tell me what you want me to do, and I'll do it all for you. We don't need to go through all these papers, do we?"