chapter 150

Yuan Li remained unconscious for a whole day and night. During this time, his consciousness was in a constant state of confusion, occasionally becoming briefly clear before quickly fading again.

When Chu Hechao arrived at the border, he found Yuan Li burning with a high fever and still unconscious.

Chu Hechao's expression at that moment was fierce and unforgettable to everyone who saw it.

Another day passed before Yuan Li finally opened his eyes.

He felt weak all over, his throat hurt, his head throbbed, and he felt hot and cold at the same time, making him extremely uncomfortable. Yuan Li gradually regained consciousness, realizing that his illness had not improved.

The room was dark, and he couldn't tell whether it was day or night. A heavy, unpleasant smell of medicine hung in the air.

Yuan Li coughed a few times, and a cup of water was brought to his lips. He drank it, and the warm water eased some of his discomfort. Yuan Li said hoarsely, "Thank you..."

He looked to the side and saw a dark figure sitting by the bed. Although only the silhouette was visible, Yuan Li recognized who it was.

He was immediately taken aback and pulled the covers over his head, feeling a bit scared. "You came back so quickly."

The figure remained silent, staring at Yuan Li with an oppressive presence that even darkness couldn't hide.

Yuan Li didn't dare to speak anymore and covered his face with the blanket.

Chu Hechao reached out and caressed Yuan Li's hair, his tone unexpectedly gentle. "I know what you did."

Yuan Li's whole body was covered in goosebumps, and he pulled the blanket down to reveal his eyes, looking at Chu Hechao. "Are you angry?"

Chu Hechao sneered, "No, I dare not be angry."

"..." Of course, that meant he was angry.

Yuan Li knew how to coax him. He held Chu Hechao's finger and said, "Don't be angry."

The man snorted coldly, still holding a grudge, but once he found the right way to appease him, he could be easily mollified. Before seeing Chu Hechao, Yuan Li had been a bit cowardly, but as soon as he saw him, he was able to put on one act after another.

He tried another approach, his voice more hoarse. "Brother, I feel really uncomfortable."

Chu Hechao stiffened, wanting to make a sarcastic remark about how Yuan Li still knew he was uncomfortable. Did he know how uncomfortable Chu Hechao had been, watching him lying in bed like this for the past two days?

But the words got stuck in his throat and couldn't be said. Chu Hechao was burning with anger, but he suddenly stood up, the chair making a harsh sound, and in the next instant, the candle was lit.

It had been a long time since Yuan Li had seen any light. He instinctively closed his eyes, but after a while, he opened them again and was startled by Chu Hechao's appearance.

Chu Hechao's beard was unkempt, his eyes bloodshot, as if he hadn't slept for several days and nights. He looked haggard.

His eyes were dim, appearing both empty and heavy, giving a frightening look. His clothes were wrinkled and covered with mud, rainwater, torn with bloodstains... They looked as though he had just come from the battlefield.

Chu Hechao called for a medical officer to come and then sat down by the bed without any expression.

Yuan Li was at a loss for words and only regained his voice after a long time. "Have you not rested in these few days?"