chapter 24

Chu Hechao looked at Yuan Li's back with a calm expression as it disappeared outside the door.

Yuan Congyun and Yang Zhongfa, who were laughing heartily just moments ago, couldn't help but stop their laughter. They exchanged a glance and Yuan Congyun gave Yang Zhongfa a questioning look.

"What happened to the God of Wealth and the General?" Yuan Congyun asked.

Yang Zhongfa wanted to stay and watch the excitement, but he also knew it was better if fewer people knew about the discord between the General and Young Master Yuan. He signaled for Yuan Congyun to leave first. Yuan Congyun was even more puzzled, but still followed Yang Zhongfa's suggestion and left the study.

As soon as Yuan Congyun left, a young servant named Lintian, who worked for Yuan Li, hurried over to seek an audience with Chu Hechao.

Chu Hechao recognized Lintian and let out a cold laugh, saying, "Let him come in."

After Lintian was brought in, he respectfully greeted Chu Hechao, "General, my young master has a few words to entrust to you."

Chu Hechao curled his lips coldly and looked down at Lintian, saying, "Let him come and speak to me personally."

Lintian seemed as if he hadn't heard those words, and he continued calmly, "The young master said that the account books he burned were all fake. The real account books are still in Luoyang, in Chu Wang's residence. When you took the young master away, you didn't have time to bring anything from Luoyang to Youzhou."

Chu Hechao narrowed his eyes, concealing some inexplicable guilt and inner turmoil.

"But Young Master Yuan said that whether or not those account books exist is not important," Lintian honestly relayed Yuan Li's words. "Youzhou is under the General's control. The General can do whatever he wants, appoint whoever he wants, dismiss whoever he wants, suspect whoever he wants... With a hundred and thirty thousand troops here, the General can turn Youzhou into an impregnable fortress."

What Lintian said was not wrong. However, after saying that, Chu Hechao's face turned slightly pale, not looking very good.

Lintian lowered his head and said, "The young master also asked me to tell you that it's not yet time to take action against these officials. Even if there is a need to take action, it should be done after suppressing the rebel forces within Youzhou."

After finishing his words, Lintian bowed and quickly left the study.

Chu Hechao sat still for a long time without moving.

Yang Zhongfa cleared his throat and regretted not leaving with Yuan Congyun earlier. He tried to speak in a calm tone, "General."

Glancing at the expression on Chu Hechao's face, Yang Zhongfa became more cautious. "Listening to Young Master Yuan's words, he won't be leaving Youzhou and returning to Luoyang, right?"

Chu Hechao coldly chuckled, "He can't leave."

"...General, Young Master Yuan is your sister-in-law," Yang Zhongfa felt a headache coming on. He approached Chu Hechao and advised him in a low voice, "He and us are different. We are all your subordinates, but Young Master Yuan is your family. How can you treat family the same way as subordinates? Moreover, Young Master Yuan is your elder. Even if he is not your elder, you know very well how much he has done for us along the way. He even made military contributions not long ago. Why has everything been calm and peaceful all along, but trouble arose when you two came to Youzhou?"

Chu Hechao remained expressionless, and it was unclear whether he had listened to the advice or not.

Because Yuan Li had such a good temper, always generous and broad-minded toward everyone, while Chu Hechao's temper was so bad that Yang Zhongfa inwardly cursed him, thus Yang Zhongfa believed that the fault laid entirely with Chu Hechao.