chapter 70

It's not entirely Wu Kai's fault.

An archer needs countless arrows to practice, and it takes financial resources to acquire the precision and strength required.

Wu Kai comes from a humble background and doesn't even know how to read. How could he have practiced archery since childhood?

Even if he exerted all his strength, archery is not just about strength.

Yuan Li didn't blame him and said, "It's nothing, get up."

After beating Wu Kai, the Wuwan people were filled with confidence. Zuosang felt it wasn't enough and turned to Wang Er, saying, "You're also a military officer under the governor, right? Why not come up and compete against our Wuwan warriors?"

Wang Er clenched his teeth, unsure whether he should volunteer. Like Wu Kai, he came from a poor family. Although he had been training in archery and horsemanship for nearly a year, he couldn't compare to Tamuda. If he participated, failure would be inevitable.

Yuan Li's subordinates looked at each other in silence.

Among them, Zhan Shaoning had the best archery skills. With a solemn expression, Zhan Shaoning prepared to stand in for Wang Er. He once again regretted his laziness during previous martial training sessions, relying on the care of his parents and elder siblings.

If only he had been more diligent in the past...

"Why is nobody moving?" Zuosang shouted, "Isn't it true that the Governor of Youzhou doesn't have a warrior under his command who can fight us?"

Yuan Dan, seated in the center, turned red with anger and muttered through his teeth, "Brother, I'm so angry."

Yuan Lou was also quite upset but managed to remain composed. He said, "Stay calm."

On the other side, He Lang muttered quietly, "They're just bullying us!"

With the generals present, the Wuwan people dared to be so arrogant. If the generals weren't there, wouldn't they regard themselves even more highly?

The frustrating part was that they had never really confronted the Wuwan people. Without a valid excuse, they couldn't resort to force against them, as it would be difficult to justify to the court. What's even more helpless is that after five years of recuperation and growth in Youzhou, the combined forces of the five Wuwan tribes probably amounted to around 200,000.

200,000... It's impossible to fight them now.

But we can't let them undermine the authority of Governor Yuan Li like this.

The anger in Chu Hechao's heart grew stronger, and his expression became colder. Yang Zhongfa was startled when he caught a glimpse of Chu Hechao's expression. Why does the general's face look like his own wife has been bullied?

Chu Hechao was about to speak up and interrupt the arrogance of the Wuwan people when Yuan Li spoke first. "Among your personal guards, is this warrior the most formidable?"

Zuosang proudly replied, "Tamuda is just slightly exceptional."

Yuan Li raised an eyebrow, seemingly curious, and asked, "And how does he compare to your Wuwan leaders?"

Zuosang instinctively replied, "Naturally, our Wuwan leaders are stronger."

Da Dan confidently said, "These personal guards cannot match our abilities. If we don't personally take the field, it's already not considered bullying you."

Yuan Li smiled and said, "Then, please let your esteemed Wuwan leaders personally take the field."

Another Wuwan leader responded unhappily, "With our status, how can we compete with a mere junior military officer under your command?"