chapter 16

Yuan Li's nose was dotted with tiny beads of sweat.

However, this was just his speculation.

To be on the safe side, Yuan Li had instructed Zhao Ying to send out two groups of people. One group would secretly monitor the households where white cloth was tied to the doors, while the other group would quickly ride back to Ruyang County to see how many households there were with white cloth tied on their doors.

Ruyang County was Yuan Li's stronghold. Chaos could happen anywhere, but not in Ruyang County.

He also had Zhao Ying pass a message to his father, Yuan Song, subtly indicating that these households might show signs of unrest. He instructed Yuan Song to mobilize two hundred troops from the farm and station them in the mansion as a precaution. He also ordered Yuan Song to temporarily halt the production at the soap factory and find another place to hide the dried soap. People were to be stationed near the soap factory, ready to set it on fire immediately if anything unusual occurred.

Yuan Li calmly issued one order after another, and his initially agitated mood gradually returned to calm.

As for the Chu Wang Mansion, Yuan Li wasn't worried. Even if a rebellion were to occur, the rebels in Luoyang would be the smallest in scale and would be suppressed the fastest. Moreover, Chu Hechao was there. Even without him, the Chu Wang Mansion had a substantial number of retinues supported by wealthy and influential families.

Over the next few days, Yuan Li appeared calm on the surface but continued to collect information in secret.

After finally having some clues, everything became much clearer to Yuan Li. The more he looked, the more he felt that his speculations were correct.

According to Yuan Li's original plan, the chaos would not arrive for at least three or four years. But now, it had come much earlier, catching him somewhat unprepared. Although he harbored hidden ambitions and aspirations deep within, he also had many concerns.

Yuan Li spent his days with a troubled expression, sighing deeply. Seeing him like this, Madam Yang tried to comfort him, grasping his hand and saying, "My dear child, don't be so sorrowful. Feng Er has always had frail health, and his current situation is also a result of fate. I don't blame you, and you shouldn't blame yourself too much."

Yuan Li knew immediately that she had misunderstood, but he couldn't explain it. He responded vaguely, "I understand, Madam."

Madam Yang patted him gently and, feeling exhausted, had her maidservant support her as she left.

Yuan Li returned to Wendao Courtyard, where he encountered the old servant he had seen at Chu Mingfeng's residence.

The elderly servant, with white hair, respectfully greeted Yuan Li with a bow. "Young Master Yuan, my master has sent me to bring two people to you."

Yuan Li was momentarily surprised. The old servant stepped aside, revealing the two individuals behind him.

One man was robust and sturdy, appearing like a hunchbacked wild bear. He had an honest face and dark skin, resembling ordinary farmers who worked in the fields.

The other person had a warm and friendly smile, with occasional gleams of shrewdness in his eyes. He had a handsome and astute appearance.

Both individuals raised their hands and bowed to Yuan Li. "Greetings, Young Master Yuan."

Yuan Li returned the gesture. "Who are you two?"

The shrewd-looking man spoke first. "I am Liu Jixin. I will rely on Young Master Yuan from now on."