chapter 21

After Chu Hechao waited for Yuan Li to finish washing his hair, Chu Hechao twisted the water out of Yuan Li's hair. When Yuan Li was ready to take a bath, Chu Hechao lazily left. Yuan Li felt more comfortable by himself. He leisurely took a wash and the next day, he joined everyone else on the final journey to Youzhou feeling clean and refreshed.

The further they went to Youzhou, the more desolate the terrain became.

They entered Youzhou from Zhuo County. As they entered Zhuo County, a scout who was exploring the road ahead hurriedly rode back on his horse and said, "General, we have found a rebel army looting Beixincheng County ahead. They number around twenty thousand!"

"Twenty thousand?" Yang Zhongfa exclaimed in surprise, his face looking grim. "How could there be so many White Rice Gang in Youzhou?"

Chu Hechao frowned and asked, "What's the situation?"

"They are burning, killing, and looting in Beixincheng County," the scout replied. "The county government has been destroyed, and the white flag of Du Liang Wang has been raised!"

The leaders of the rebel army were Du Nie, Liang Zhou, and Wang Jian, collectively known as the Du Liang Wang Rebel Army. The common people used white cloth tied to their doors as a mark, and their flag was also made of white cloth with drawings of rice grains on it. Therefore, the rebel army was called the White Rice Gang.

Although Youzhou was the fief of Chu Wang, the Chu Wang family had never managed it. Over time, local officials and powerful figures became like local emperors, constantly annexing land and increasing taxes. After the rebellion led by Du Nie, Liang Zhou, and Wang Jian, many people in Youzhou responded to the call and joined the army of Du Liang Wang.

Yuan Li halted his horse and pursed his lips tightly for a moment. He turned his head to face Chu Hechao directly and said, "General, there are towering and treacherous mountains on both sides. We can't smuggle military supplies through the mountains. We can only move forward and pass through Beixincheng County to enter Jixian in Guangyang Commandery."

And Jixian in Guangyang Commandery was their destination.

If they were to retreat and turn back, they would probably be delayed by another month on the road.

The group stood still in the middle of the road, momentarily frozen.

Throughout their journey, they had encountered attacks from the White Rice Gang, but the presence of a thousand cavalrymen had deterred them from getting too close. However, this time they were facing not scattered rebel forces but a full twenty thousand people!

A thousand cavalry against twenty thousand infantry, even if these infantry were peasants who had never undergone military training and only worked in the fields, the vast difference in numbers would undoubtedly lead to their annihilation.

Chu Hechao pondered for a short moment and quickly made a decision. He raised his hand resolutely and said, "Yuan Congyun, you lead five hundred cavalrymen to stay here and protect the military supplies. Remember, if the supplies are lost, your life is forfeit."

Yuan Congyun's expression turned serious as he clasped his fists and said, "I will obey the order."

"Yang Zhongfa, you and Han Jin will accompany me and another five hundred light cavalry to secretly infiltrate Beixincheng County," Chu Hechao said calmly. "Instruct them to drop their baggage, remove their armor, and only carry bows, arrows, and large knives."

Yang Zhongfa and Han Jin replied in unison with determination, "Yes."

Yuan Li immediately spoke up, "I will go with you."