chapter 157

Becoming a vassal of Yuan Li is not an easy task.

Yuan Li rarely accepts recommendations from others; instead, he personally recruits officials. Numerous influential clans have tried to align with him but found it difficult. They gradually noticed something: most of the valued officials in Yuan Li's circle are from humble origins, with few coming from prestigious families.

Some perceptive individuals began to realize that Yuan Li seemed to prefer individuals from humble backgrounds compared to those from prestigious families. Perhaps it was because of Yuan Li's own modest origins that he empathized with those from humble backgrounds. This made it even more challenging for prestigious families to send their offspring to serve under Yuan Li. Now, with the opportunity to openly send their children to Yuan Li's side, prestigious families saw it as crucial.

Jingzhou, Xiangyang.

The Wang family gathered in the inner hall. The patriarch informed Wang Qianzhi and his brothers about Yuan Li's upcoming talent selection through the Imperial Examination, asking if they wanted to give it a try.

The brothers exchanged excited glances and readily agreed. The patriarch turned his gaze to Wang Qianzhi, who had remained silent, and asked, "Qianzhi, what about you?"

Wang Qianzhi was the most intelligent among the young generation of the Wang family, and the patriarch had always held him in high regard. After Wang Qianzhi completed his studies, the family planned to use their connections to recommend him for an official position. However, the outbreak of war changed everything, and Wang Qianzhi spent the years since then studying, playing chess, and tending to plants, achieving nothing significant.

"Patriarch, I also want to give it a try," said Wang Qianzhi, who was in his early twenties but displayed a mature and composed demeanor. "I'm not young anymore, and my wife is pregnant. While those slightly older than me, like Yuan Li, have become the rulers of two states, commanding respect from all corners of the world, I am still a nobody. I feel ashamed and believe it's time for me to leave the family and strive for accomplishments."

The patriarch pondered for a moment and replied, "You gained fame at a young age and studied under great scholars. If you want an official position, your brothers can arrange it for you in Chen Wang's court. They have worked hard for many years and have opened doors for you. Your journey will be much smoother. Qianzhi, are you sure you want to go to Yuan Li's side? I must clarify; Yuan Li is not Chen Wang. There aren't many scholars by his side, and he seems to value those from humble backgrounds. If you go to Yuan Li, it doesn't necessarily mean you will gain his favor."

Wang Qianzhi smiled gently and replied, "The current situation is clear. Yuan Li and the Grand General are one entity now. Although Chen Wang has the Emperor, it doesn't mean he can stabilize the entire country. Having a few brothers by Chen Wang's side are enough. For the sake of our family's long-term prosperity, I should go to Yuan Li's side. As for whether I'll gain his favor, you need not worry. Since Yuan Li organized this examination solely based on talent and knowledge, it shows his broad-mindedness and fairness toward scholars. He thirsts for talent and, as long as we have the ability, there's no need to fear being valued."

The brothers listened attentively, nodding in agreement. ""In the past, I've never heard of such a selection method; it's quite innovative. All scholars from across the land gather together, and we're only compared based on our knowledge. It's quite interesting."

They were even a bit eager to see for themselves what kind of results they could achieve among the crowds of scholars.

Without much hesitation, the patriarch nodded and sighed, "Since that's the case, we'll prepare your belongings, and you should set off as soon as possible. However, before you leave, I have a few words of advice for you."