chapter 31

After waking up, Zhan Shaoning had already forgotten what he said the previous night. When he learned that Yuan Li had entrusted him with a task, he was quite happy. It allowed him to prove his abilities and stand tall when being taken in by others.

He was full of energy and eager to prove that he wasn't just here to freeload and have a free meal. On the same day, he took Xiao Ce and went out.

Liu Jixin and Wu Kai naturally accompanied them.

Zhan Shaoning was good at dealing with people. In less than ten days, he had already established brotherly relationships with many influential landlords in Jixian. With less money than Yuan Li had planned, he successfully purchased enough medicine and excellently fulfilled Yuan Li's instructions.

At the same time, everything they did and said daily was reported to Yuan Li.

Just as Yuan Li's worst suspicions suggested, while it seemed like Zhan Shaoning was the one in control, it was actually Xiao Ce who held the reins.

Whenever Zhan Shaoning made a decision, Xiao Ce would gently inquire, "Are you sure you want to do this, young master?"

As soon as he was asked this, Zhan Shaoning began to doubt himself, hesitating and seeking advice from Xiao Ce, "Uncle Xiao, if you were in my position, what would you do?"

A true chief advisor wouldn't treat Zhan Shaoning like a puppet.

Zhao Ying also brought news obtained through bribes to Zhan Shaoning's subordinates.

These remaining fifty or so subordinates were originally the private soldiers of the Zhan family. However, during their escape, Xiao Ce's ingenious plans helped them avoid crises time and time again, gradually gaining their loyalty. Compared to following Zhan Shaoning's orders, they found Xiao Ce's words more convincing.

In the memories of the subordinates, during the initial escape, Xiao Ce had repeatedly questioned and dismissed Zhan Shaoning's judgments, which made Zhan Shaoning indecisive. After losing dozens of men in a crisis, Zhan Shaoning no longer made decisions alone and fully obeyed Xiao Ce's words.

Upon learning of this, Yuan Li instantly made up his mind.

Xiao Ce was indeed dangerous. It would be fine if he didn't stay behind in Yuan Li's territory, but now he intended to stay in Jixian with Zhan Shaoning. Such an ambitious and extreme individual, who wanted to control the master and act in an extreme manner, could not be allowed to stay.

However, Yuan Li was about to leave Jixian and didn't have time to neatly and quietly deal with Xiao Ce, nor was it appropriate to directly confront him through Zhan Shaoning. He also didn't have time to explain to Zhan Shaoning. Zhan Shaoning had only been in Jixian for ten days and now trusted Xiao Ce, relying on him even more than on Yuan Li. Expressing his concerns to Zhan Shaoning recklessly would not yield good results.

Therefore, before leaving Jixian, Yuan Li planned to warn Xiao Ce, preventing him from causing trouble in the rear.

The night before going to the battlefield, Yuan Li held a banquet at the Chu Wang Mansion to express gratitude to Zhan Shaoning for his arrival and for procuring the medicinal materials.

During the banquet, everyone sang and danced, enjoying themselves.

Midway through the banquet, Yuan Li suddenly raised his cup and loudly thanked Xiao Ce, "I thank Mr. Xiao for escorting Zhan Shaoning to Youzhou. It is thanks to your efforts that Zhan Shaoning, such a talented individual, was not lost to misfortune and came to assist me by my side. This is my good fortune and Youzhou's good fortune."

Zhan Shaoning's face turned red as he was praised, feeling a bit embarrassed as he scratched his head.

Xiao Ce raised his cup and stood up, speaking confidently, "Escorting the young master to avoid misfortune is indeed my duty. Although the young master may be impulsive at times, he is talented and will surely become a great general in the future! I am grateful to Young Master Yuan for not abandoning him. I ask Young Master Yuan to provide guidance to the young master. Thank you, Young Master Yuan."