chapter 151

The next day, Yuan Li handed over the well-hidden map of the grassland terrain to Chu Hechao.

Though Chu Hechao was angry at Yuan Li's recklessness, he still carefully accepted the map, as it was a map Yuan Li had painstakingly drawn. They spent the day studying the map together.

Yuan Li's illness did not fully recover until the end of the month.

Once he was fully recovered, Chu Hechao took Yuan Li and hurried towards Jizhou.

The generals in the Northern Frontier bid them farewell warmly.

During this month, the generals stationed in the Northern Territories visited Yuan Li many times. They didn't say much, only showing concern for Yuan Li's health and gratitude for his contributions. Their behavior seemed normal, but occasionally, their gazes toward Yuan Li were peculiar.

Yuan Li believed that they probably knew about his relationship with Chu Hechao. After all, Chu Hechao's unusual behavior during his illness was too obvious. However, he didn't know what Chu Hechao had said to these trusted generals, as they didn't show anything unusual in front of him.

Yuan Li was relieved and acted as if nothing had happened, chatting and laughing with them as usual.

Privately, Mi Yang and Duan Yuquan also marveled at the fact that the general was together with Yuan Li.

It wasn't that men couldn't be together, it's because they were also considered in-laws. But when they first noticed something was amiss, it was quite shocking. Normally, they would have tried to advise against it, but when they saw the way the general acted like a madman because of Yuan Li, they couldn't say anything to stop it.

So be it.

The generals in the Northern Frontier thought as they watched Chu Hechao and the Governor disappear into the distance.

After all, they couldn't change the general's mind.

Five days later, Yuan Li finally returned to Jixian.

As soon as he returned, his subordinates surrounded him, deeply worried about his safety. They scrutinized Yuan Li several times from head to toe. Yuan Dan even cried, his eyes filled with tears, repeating, "Le Jun, thank goodness you're alright!"

Yuan Li touched his nose, feeling speechless. After exchanging a few words with them in a gentle tone, Chu Hechao stepped in and said, "The Governor has just recovered from a severe illness and traveled a long way. You should all return for now and report anything tomorrow."

Everyone agreed and left.

Yuan Li breathed a sigh of relief. After entering the room, he collapsed on the bed and didn't want to move.

A man came over and kicked his leg, scolding, "You're covered in sweat and still lying on the bed? Go take a bath."

"..." Yuan Li quietly shrank into the bed, playing dead.

Chu Hechao squinted dangerously and said, "Yuan Li."

Yuan Li buried his head under the blanket.

The next moment, Chu Hechao's strong arm went around his waist, lifting him up and carrying him out of the room to the bathhouse.

Yuan Li gave up resisting lazily, "Bring me some clean clothes too."

Chu Hechao glanced at him, "So lazy."

But he still went back to get Yuan Li's clothes and draped them over his shoulder before carrying him to the bathhouse.

After bathing, they took a nap together.