chapter 82

Emperor Jinayuan is not good?

Yuan Li suddenly realized, "No wonder..."

No wonder Cai Ji was in such a rush to transport wealth and property out of the mansion. It turns out he also knew that Emperor Jianyuan was dying.

With the death of Emperor Jianyuan, chaos would ensue in the world. He was afraid that they would seek revenge for his previous actions.

Yuan Li said to Chu Hechao, "Cai Ji is planning to run away."

Chu Hechao responded coldly, "Let him run. He's just a worm. With or without him, it makes no difference."

Yuan Li nodded. "Once he's gone, I can easily appoint a new governor for Guangyang County."

After saying that, he fell into contemplation.

Chu Hechao pinched his face. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking about what to do with our parents," Yuan Li vaguely said, patting his hand.

His parents were in Ruyang County, a day's journey away from Luoyang. If there was a rebellion in Luoyang or any major event occurred, his parents would have some time to prepare. But Chu Hechao and the Chu family were in Luoyang, and Chu Hechao commanded a large army of 130,000 in the northern frontier of Youzhou. No matter who the new ruler was, they wouldn't easily let Chu Hechao's parents leave. They would use Chu Hechao's parents to control him.

Yuan Li was worried about Chu Wang and Lady Yang, but seeing Chu Hechao's calm demeanor as he drank with others, he guessed that Chu Wang must have given him some assurance.

Sure enough, Chu Hechao casually said, "They will leave Luoyang before the emperor's departure and rush to Youzhou with your parents."

Yuan Li exclaimed, "Will my parents come along as well?"

"That's right," Chu Hechao pinched the back of his neck. "You are far away in Youzhou and have made significant contributions. If chaos erupts in the world, there might be people who would take your parents hostage to threaten you. Moreover, both the Yuan family and the Chu family are now on the same side. If my parents escape, it is likely to implicate your parents."

Yuan Li nodded thoughtfully and sighed. "I'm afraid my father won't be willing to come."

Ruyang County was their stronghold and had cost Yuan Song countless efforts. It was likely that only when Ruyang was affected and chaos truly broke out, then Yuan Song would come.

He hoped his parents would be persuaded to come to Youzhou. Just in case, he would send a letter to his family tomorrow.

Chu Hechao pinched the back of his neck again and informed him about the situation in Luoyang.

After Emperor Jianyuan fell seriously ill, the outside relatives of the emperor, and the eunuchs in the palace began to stir. They had multiple disputes and each wanted to support a puppet prince to contend for the throne after Emperor Jianyuan's death.

Emperor Jianyuan had few children. He had only three princes, and the eldest prince, who should have been the best candidate to succeed, had died before Emperor Jianyuan's illness.

Externally, it was said that he died of illness, but everyone knew the truth. They just didn't know if the death of the eldest prince was orchestrated by the relatives or the eunuchs. The remaining two princes were only twelve and seven years old, and they couldn't stabilize the turbulent Northern Zhou.

They would inevitably become pawns in the power struggle between the relatives and the eunuchs.

After hearing all this, Yuan Li became somewhat depressed and fell silent.