chapter 34

It was really uncomfortable to sleep on the chair. Every time Yuan Li closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep, he could hear the constant creaking and swaying of the chair under Chu Hechao.

The sound was grating, making Yuan Li's temples throb. When the sound rang out again, Yuan Li suddenly sat up and gritted his teeth, saying, "General!"

The sound of the chair stopped, and then fake snoring began.

"...," Yuan Li's lips twitched. "General, can't you sleep?"

In the darkness, the fake snoring ceased, and Chu Hechao's voice, tinged with sleepiness and slight annoyance, came, "The chair is too cramped, and I can't sleep comfortably."

"Alright," Yuan Li kindly suggested, "General, you still have injuries on your back. How about sleeping on the bed with me? We can sleep on our sides and squeeze a bit to fit."

Unexpectedly, he was rejected. The man said, "No need, it's not appropriate."

Yuan Li forced a smile and said, "Oh, General, now you suddenly care about appropriateness?"

Chu Hechao actually responded.

Yuan Li felt speechless and got up decisively, ready to get off the bed. "Alright, General, you sleep on the bed, and I'll sleep on the chair."

Chu Hechao frowned. Yuan Li was his sister-in-law, and he was still young. It wasn't right for a grown man to sleep on the bed while letting his sister-in-law sleep on the chair. He decisively said, "No need, you sleep on the bed."

Yuan Li was already fumbling for his shoes in the dark, making rustling sounds. "Forget it, I'm much thinner than the General. The chair is just right for me."

Chu Hechao slightly raised his voice, with a hint of impatience, as if scolding, "You lie down properly on the bed!"

The stern and forceful tone almost made Yuan Li shudder.

Caught off guard by the harshness, Yuan Li's anger surged. He sneered, kicked off his shoes, and turned around to lie on the bed. He pulled the blanket over his ears firmly, refusing to pay any attention to Chu Hechao.

Anyone who cared about Chu Hechao even a little bit was a dog.

Perhaps due to the excellent sound insulation of the bedding, after covering his ears, Yuan Li truly didn't hear another creaking sound from the chair. Unconsciously, drowsiness overcame him.

The next day, as Yuan Li slowly opened his eyes, he saw a figure rubbing his shoulders with a stiff expression.

Yuan Li blinked, his vision gradually clearing, and he saw Chu Hechao's wrinkled robe covering his back.

He opened his mouth to speak but remembered Chu Hechao's harsh words from last night. Instantly, he lost interest in talking and swallowed his words.

Fine, Chu Hechao didn't like being cared for. Yuan Li wouldn't bother him anymore.

He looked at the several water basins in the room.

After waking up, the ice in the basins had melted into water again. Yuan Li got off the bed, put on his shoes, bypassed Chu Hechao, and walked to the basins. He squatted down and closely examined the state of the melted ice.

Chu Hechao glanced at his back in passing and continued to stretch his body.

Feeling the soreness throughout his body, Yuan Li's handsome features momentarily twisted, then quickly returned to an icy coldness.

Last night, after realizing that he had disturbed Yuan Li, Chu Hechao stopped scolding him and remained in the same position until dawn. When he woke up in the morning, Chu Hechao's entire body was stiff, and every movement produced a cracking sound from his bones. It was more discomforting than fighting all night, leaving him with an aching back and sore waist.