chapter 139

Amidst the chaotic times, many prophecies would emerge, mostly hidden predictions by diviners that weren't immediately discernible. But once one made a connection, it seemed to fit various people and events perfectly, leading people to believe in it more and more.

Just like Wu Shanshi, he was convinced that the prophecy "Three hundred years of demise, three gold shall rise" was referring to him, thanks to previous signs.

The Northern Zhou dynasty had lasted for three hundred years, and it seemed evident that "three hundred years of demise" referred to the fall of the Northern Zhou dynasty.

As for the "three gold," it might puzzle some, but not Wu Shanshi.

The character "Wu" had the character "Tian" (meaning "heaven") underneath it, and both belonged to the element gold in the Five Elements theory. The character "Shan" was part of the character for "yang" (sheep), also belonging to the element gold. Similarly, the character "Shi" also belonged to the element gold. When combined, didn't it form three gold elements? Wasn't it a clear indication of Wu Shanshi's rise to power?

Wu Shanshi felt absolutely certain about his interpretation. This prophecy undoubtedly meant that he would eventually overthrow the Northern Zhou dynasty and establish a new rule.

With all these things combined, Wu Shanshi believed that it was the trend of the times, and not becoming emperor would be unacceptable.

However, he was too agitated to keep it to himself. He called Zhou Gongdan to the study and asked, "What do you think the prophecy 'Three hundred years of demise, three gold shall rise' means?"

Zhou Gongdan pondered for a long time, under Wu Shanshi's increasingly hopeful gaze, he slowly said, "When I heard this prophecy, I indeed thought of you, my lord."

AD

Wu Shanshi felt elated and tentatively asked, "Do you think this prophecy is true?"

Zhou Gongdan sighed, "My lord, no one knows if this prophecy is true. What we know now is that the rumor of the Golden Dragon's descent has spread throughout Jizhou."

Wu Shanshi was taken aback and immediately sent someone to inquire. He found out that Zhou Gongdan was right, and the rumor had indeed spread throughout Jizhou.

Wu Shanshi's foolish followers and subordinates seemed to see this as his opportunity for a comeback.

AD

Even Cai Ji, who had sought refuge with Wu Shanshi, came to congratulate him, flattery dripping from his words. He claimed that these auspicious signs were heaven's way of showing that Wu Shanshi was not a villain and that he had been specially chosen to receive such signs.

Otherwise, why would they appear in Jizhou and not elsewhere?

Wu Shanshi liked what Cai Ji said because it was exactly what he believed.

Cai Ji, on the other hand, didn't take the rumor of the real dragon's appearance seriously. He thought these auspicious signs were all fabricated by Wu Shanshi to clear his name.

Although Cai Ji felt that the rumor of the appearance of a real dragon was somewhat dangerous, he couldn't rule out the possibility that Wu Shanshi's intention in spreading this auspicious omen was to demonstrate loyalty to the emperor.

Wu Shanshi might have thought, "Your Majesty, see, the real dragon has descended upon my territory, proving how loyal I am to you and to the Northern Zhou dynasty. Such loyalty has even moved the real dragon to appear in Jizhou, clearing my name from the label of a traitor."

Cai Ji believed he had grasped Wu Shanshi's thoughts accurately.

He also believed that Wu Shanshi's followers and subordinates thought the same.