chapter 74

In April, the frogs croaked in the fields.

In the northern regions, April could be scorching hot one moment and freezing cold the next. The weather was unpredictable.

Before lunch, the weather was still scorching hot, but halfway through the meal, dark clouds covered the sun.

Farmers who relied on the heavens for their meals and generals who needed to understand the weather for warfare could both tell that it wouldn't rain that day. They were confident in predicting weather changes with obvious signs. The only unpredictable thing was sudden rain without any warning, especially heavy rain after a drought. It was because of this that whenever they recalled Yuan Li accurately predicting the rainfall, they would be amazed.

With the sun obscured, working in the afternoon became more comfortable. Although it was only mid-April, after a round of work, these men had all worked up a sweat to some extent. When they gathered to eat, the smell of sweat became stronger, but since everyone smelled, no one minded.

Yuan Li had been busy all morning and was sweating profusely.

Normally, whether in his previous life or in this life, Yuan Li never cared about whether he smelled good or not when covered in sweat. However, at this moment, as he caught a whiff of the faint soap scent emanating from Chu Hechao, he began to doubt how unpleasant his own scent would be to his nose.

He wiped the sweat from his forehead with his hand, pretending to casually move a bit to the side, putting some distance between himself and Chu Hechao.

In Chu Hechao's eyes, it seemed like Yuan Li was avoiding him.

His lips straightened for a moment, then curved into a smile without much meaning.

They hadn't seen each other for over ten days, and only they knew how they felt in their hearts.

People have their flaws.

The more they desired something they couldn't have, the more uncontrollable their wild desires became. Especially when they had tasted each other's scent, experienced each other's presence briefly and indulgently. The scorching breath and the surging undercurrents had been etched into their memories like a dream, resurfacing in their minds from time to time during the night, causing them to feel restless, their breathing irregular.

Chu Hechao had said it was a one-time indulgence, and he had meant it. But after not seeing Yuan Li for over ten days, he couldn't help but think obsessively while suppressing his desires.

He didn't want to do anything specific; he just wanted to see Yuan Li after restraining himself to a certain extent.

But when he didn't see him, he wanted to, and when he saw him, he restrained himself.

For example, at this moment, Chu Hechao keenly perceived the aloofness in Yuan Li's demeanor.

This was the signal Yuan Li gave him, indicating that he wanted to maintain a distant, brother-in-law relationship.

Chu Hechao received the message.

The warmth of their skin touching had turned into coldness. After a few moments of conversation, Yuan Li suddenly smiled at Chu Hechao and said, "After we finish eating, General, take a few of the senior officials and go back. It's hot and exhausting in the fields, but we're here, so there's no need for you to exert yourselves."

Chu Hechao also smiled, his thin lips curving. "If my sister-in-law is concerned about us getting tired, we can't disappoint his good intentions."

A faint expression of indifference appeared on his handsome face. "After we finish eating, we will leave."