chapter 8

On the way back, Yuan Li kept turning his head to look at Chu Hechao, his gaze fixed on the dark belt around his waist.

Chu Hechao became irritated by the scrutiny and coldly sneered, catching Yuan Li's gaze. "What are you looking at, Sister-in-law?"

Yuan Li told the truth, "I'm looking at your belt."

Even a single copper coin was treasured and picked up, Chu Hechao seemed to be even more destitute than Yuan Li had imagined.

The man had broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and a classic inverted triangle figure. The muscles beneath the belt were sturdy and taut, brimming with explosive strength. Looking at his belt was almost the same as looking at his waist.

After uttering those words, Yuan Li felt Chu Hechao's gaze grow even colder. It dawned on him that his statement might have been misunderstood.

It seemed like a provocation.

Yuan Li touched his nose and tried to remedy the situation. "General, the pattern on your belt is quite nice."

Chu Hechao tugged at his lips. "These clothes were prepared by Sister-in-law."

As he spoke, his gaze shifted to Yuan Li's waist. His sister-in-law, who hadn't yet turned 20, was still a young lad with slender limbs. He couldn't be called weak, but he was completely inadequate in a military camp. Chu Hechao playfully looked at Yuan Li's figure, intentionally circling around his slim waist, and mocked, "Not as good as Sister-in-law's."

"Oh no, no," Yuan Li responded politely, "Yours is even better."

Two grown men discussing whose belt looked better in this context was indeed quite awkward. Chu Hechao chuckled and didn't continue the conversation.

That night, the two of them stayed at the farmstead.

The farmstead was teeming with mosquitoes and noisy with the sounds of cicadas, frogs, chicken clucks, and pig grunts. Yuan Li couldn't fall asleep until midnight, and when he woke up the next day, there was a tinge of blue under his eyes.

Today, they were going to plant rice seedlings. After finishing breakfast, Yuan Li, as usual, advised Chu Hechao, "Father's fields are on the outskirts of the farm, deep within the forest, and the road is long and secluded. It would be better for you to stay at the farmstead."

Chu Hechao chuckled, his slender fingers in black leather gloves caressing the reins, resolute in his stance. "What are you saying, Sister-in-law? We're family, and with elder brother not here, how can I let you work alone?"

This was the first time Yuan Li had heard the term "elder brother" from Chu Hechao's mouth.

He had been gathering some information these days and heard rumors about the strained relationship between Chu Hechao and Chu Mingfeng. It was said that when Chu Hechao was on the verge of death on the battlefield, Chu Mingfeng was in the capital city, treating his colleagues to drinks and reciting poetry while consuming Five Stone Powder (a potent herbal medicine). When the news arrived, the expression of the Young Gelao didn't change, and he sighed while smiling at his friends, "Whether he lives or dies, it's all fate."

With that, he downed a glass of wine.

Everyone said that it was thanks to Chu Mingfeng and Chu Hechao sharing the same parents that Chu Mingfeng went out of his way to raise military funds for Chu Hechao and sent them to the northern frontier. If they didn't share the same parents, Chu Mingfeng wouldn't have cared about Chu Hechao's life or death.

Since Yuan Li entered the Chu household, he often saw traces of grief and desolation on the faces of Chu Wang and Madam Yang. However, Chu Hechao had never shown any sorrow for his dying brother, and in fact, he seemed particularly indifferent and apathetic.